Head Coaching Search

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:46 am I was not excited about this hire when it was announced. My son called me after their Zoom meeting where the new Coach was introduced. I had my speech all prepared. It is what it is. Only worry about what you can control. Be positive around your teammates. And I’ll tell you what I actually heard from him.  I haven’t heard my son as excited and fired up since his signing day. I was surprised to say the least. His exact words, “he’s exactly what it means to be a Leatherneck!”  

so my speech immediately shifted to share this excitement with your teammates. Make sure everyone is on board. Everyone is either in or in the way. It’s so good to see my son excited again, not just finishing his time, but really looking forward to it. 

Now, Coach has some important work to do. He has to hire the right assistants to come in and do the work. He’s off to a great start, but he has to get the right men, or women, in here to carry out his vision. Otherwise it’s just words on paper. 

Also, love the idea of recruiting HS players, but we have holes we need filled now, by mature players that are game ready. Hopefully we can be successful with some mid year transfers. Otherwise, we may not even have enough on the roster for a solid Spring practice season. Which is vitally important to success next Fall. 

I also want to add, Coach Minnis has been awesome for the boys over the last few weeks. No one spends more time with the players than the S&C Coach; and we have a Great one!  I’m glad the AD made the decision to retain him. 

As for me, I am all in. Let’s GO NECKS! 

This is awesome to hear on all fronts. I was never worried about his ability to win over the community and the alumni since he's in the category of both, but I'm glad to hear that he's won over a lot of the current players. Hopefully that'll help limit the number of guys we have going into the transfer portal (always going to have a few...especially nowadays). I'm very interested to see who he brings in to his coaching staff for the defense. He's obviously a very offense-minded coach...was a WR himself, calls offensive plays in-game, spent time as an OC...but we really struggled on defense this year...have for a while. We'll really need someone solid on the defensive side of the ball to help turn things around.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

Leatherneck57 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:42 am Here’s some examples I was explaining to you…

From JR Niklos (if you don’t know who he is Google him)

Hey Brian! I’ve talked to Myers and we are going to set up a time to meet. Between Acceleration, BOOM, and me coaching at College Of Dupage I can surely assist. To be honest in the past I’ve sent them multiple athletes without no response so hopefully this time is different. A good example is Mark Gronowski. He had zero offers and would have committed to WIU on the spot. WIU didn’t like him so I called Luke from SDSU (he used to coach at WIU). They offered him on the spot, he committed and led SDSU to the national championship game as an All-American QB this past Spring!

I talked to that staff a bunch but they felt they had the recruiting down pat. I know everything about these kids beyond what the film can show. If they’re hard working, good character, good teammate, etc….all the intangibles that create winners! I want them to get Darrel Smith asap. He’s our RB at COD. Every FBS team I talk to says he’s a perfect fit they’re just backed up at RB because of covid. Kid is a winner and can pound the rock!

I will send you some other examples as well…

thanks for sharing, but I hope you got his ok to share 

meganeck

I agree, the coaching staff will be interesting and the defense will be key. Hopefully we start hearing some names soon and seeing some commitments.
I did notice that a lot of KWU players seemed really happy for him.
beauspencer

Couldn’t be happier with this hire. Myers Hendrickson will be a great head coach. 
wiu712

Myers Hendrickson's message to Kansas Wesleyan:

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck

That's cool to hear that Frisman Jackson is a mentor to him and they still talk regularly. Not a bad person to have in your corner and to lean on
L'Étranger

I haven't telegraphed this, but like GV, I'm a player parent.

After the zoom call, our player texted us, focusing on 'character, trust, commitment' from the conversation. He, like GV's boy, was excited, he had liked what he'd heard.

When Coach Hen went into the locker room in Bottino's story above, he ran into my boy. He had 5-10 minutes of one-on-one face time with the new coach and came away with what he called a 'good feeling for the future'.

I agree with GV on recruiting/assistants/Minnis.

I can't say I'm all in yet, but I'm getting warmer. 

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

L'Étranger wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:44 pm I haven't telegraphed this, but like GV, I'm a player parent.

After the zoom call, our player texted us, focusing on 'character, trust, commitment' from the conversation. He, like GV's boy, was excited, he had liked what he'd heard.

When Coach Hen went into the locker room in Bottino's story above, he ran into my boy. He had 5-10 minutes of one-on-one face time with the new coach and came away with what he called a 'good feeling for the future'.

I'm glad to hear that you're starting to warm on Coach Hen, and we're glad you're here to offer your perspective. Most of us here are longtime fans, but very few of us have been in on the student-athlete's side of things, so it's nice to get a bit of the view of that side of things. Obviously all of us want the team to do well in all areas...on the field, and off...but there's going to be times when we have different ideas of the best way to do that. I've said it before that I also have some reservations about the new hire, but he has some real positive qualities and I really hope he's able to get things turned around. However it works out, I wish your kid the best and hope that they enjoy their time at Western.

Western_101

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:18 pm
L'Étranger wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:44 pm I haven't telegraphed this, but like GV, I'm a player parent.

I'm glad to hear that you're starting to warm on Coach Hen, and we're glad you're here to offer your perspective. Most of us here are longtime fans, but very few of us have been in on the student-athlete's side of things, so it's nice to get a bit of the view of that side of things. Obviously all of us want the team to do well in all areas...on the field, and off...but there's going to be times when we have different ideas of the best way to do that. I've said it before that I also have some reservations about the new hire, but he has some real positive qualities and I really hope he's able to get things turned around. However it works out, I wish your kid the best and hope that they enjoy their time at Western.

Very diplomatic as always Mr. Lawson. thank you.

From my perspective, this looks like this dudes running for office. 

Headline: LOCAL BOY COMES HOME AND SAVES WIU.

Jeesh, I would vote for that guy,

On yet another note I love the pre-made resume binder complete with trademark infringement (Federal copy-write) infringement. Or was that WIU's scrubbed and polished version hot from press? It's pan-tone was PERFECT!  Sorry Warren Zevon.

I love it, as a story, Unless this young man can move Heaven and Earth I can't see anything getting funded. No funds no bueno.  I was a hard no, then softened, Now have regained my senses.  

This guy may be everything he said but is going to get slaughtered in the MVFC. The one with (depending on who you ask), Four flagship schools and every single member out spending us.  

Am I wrong when this wears off in a while, (It does make me feel better though) like Santa and the Mandalorian.

We're going to find out we have the most likable, affable good intentioned coach in the D-I ranks minus the Wins.