vs Eureka College

wiu712

Western won 79-50.

Quinlan Bennett led the Western scoring with 14 points.  Steph Gabriel had 13.  Vuk Stevanic and Alec Rosner each had 10.

Colonel Rock IV (Ray) was at the game.

Next game will be the conference-opener at Western Hall on Monday (Dec 19) vs North Dakota State.  Game time is 6:00 PM.

wiu51

What was the attendance? 
meganeck

On the news showing highlights it didn't look like there were many there, but it was only showing like 2 sides so maybe the sides had more fans
wiu712

wiu51 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:09 am What was the attendance? 

No attendance numbers were listed in the box score from the two games.

I watched the Live Stream.  Looked like a very small turnout.  That had to be disappointing for Western Athletics.

sealhall74

I would estimate attendance at about 5-600.  I think the atmosphere was "Vibrant" for lack of a better word.  ;)
Alumni get-together was super.  Concessions in arena were great, especially the tacos at the Brewhouse Bar.
Given the holiday season, end of semester and graduation this weekend, ...,  I dont think the turnout would be a shock to anyone.
Add a weekend conference game against one of the Dakota teams next year.   Keep upping the ante.

Did Collinsworth make the trip?  Not listed in box score and I dont remember seeing him on the bench.  

Update:  The QC Times paper article estimated crowd around 1000.  Could be.  Everyone was pretty much spread around the arena.  

Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:22 am I would estimate attendance at about 5-600.  I think the atmosphere was "Vibrant" for lack of a better word.  ;)
Alumni get-together was super.  Concessions in arena were great, especially the tacos at the Brewhouse Bar.
Given the holiday season, end of semester and graduation this weekend, ...,  I dont think the turnout would be a shock to anyone.
Add a weekend conference game against one of the Dakota teams next year.   Keep upping the ante.

Did Collinsworth make the trip?  Not listed in box score and I dont remember seeing him on the bench.  

Update:  The QC Times paper article estimated crowd around 1000.  Could be.  Everyone was pretty much spread around the arena.  

The announcers were confused about that as well. They said they didn't see him on the sidelines, so apparently if he was ill or something they didn't know about it.
Neckfansince71

You know, it took a ton of work just to get this to happen and it is something that people on the board have said we needed to do for a long time.  Just the pregame press coverage alone was exactly what the doctor ordered.  Yesterday was many schools last day before Christmas break and the holiday is only a week away.  Getting these games played in the Quadcities is enough for me at this point and I think really an accomplishment for BubbYearOne!  Lets give the athletic department a whole year to plan and sell this game against a quality opponent. ;)jc

wiu712

WIU makes triumphant return to The Mark.
From the Quad-City Times:
https://qctimes.com/sports/college/bask ... 9b827.html

meganeck

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:22 am I would estimate attendance at about 5-600.  I think the atmosphere was "Vibrant" for lack of a better word.  ;)

Don't forget to add in all the high school basketball games going on Friday night, I'm sure that hurt attendance. I did see somewhere that there was a nice contingent from DeWitt there to watch Allie Meadows

leatherneckcountry

meganeck wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:51 am

Don't forget to add in all the high school basketball games going on Friday night, I'm sure that hurt attendance. I did see somewhere that there was a nice contingent from DeWitt there to watch Allie Meadows

Yes Moline was playing Quincy on Friday night Moline is ranked #2 and Quincy was ranked #8 in the state heading into the game