Number of players for each position by eligibility year

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just for the fun of it, I ran the numbers on how many players we have at the various positions by eligibility year.
You can view the full document here: the Totals tab is the actual numbers for each position (also on that page, % of players of that eligibility year...like, 8.33% of our offense are Seniors, 22.92% are Juniors, etc.), the Offense, Defense, and All Players tabs are stacked bar charts showing totals for each year (I'm embedding those below, so if you're only interested in looking at that....see below).

Anyway, just though it'd be an interesting way of looking at how "experienced/old" our team is. A couple of interesting things....our offense is young, with only 4 of the 48 players being Seniors (2 RB, 1 WR, 1 OL) as is our special teams (no Seniors or Juniors). Our Defense is kinda "donut-shaped" (and no, I'm not referring to their playing abilities or physical size/shape)....we have roughly evenly a quarter of players that are Seniors, a quarter that are Juniors, a quarter that are Redshirt Freshmen, and a quarter that are Freshmen (give or take a player or two).....but no sophomores on defense at all (and only 9 sophomores on the team at all). Most of that would have been Coach Hendrickson's final recruiting class, right? Coach Nielson's first freshmen are mostly this year's Redshirt Freshmen (with the exception of the two WRs: Borsellino and Lenoir). Or was that more of an example of a few true freshmen having to be pushed into service early and burn their redshirt year (which would put them as Juniors this year I think...maybe?). Someone might want to check my math on that. Special Teams is also a young group, which makes me kinda nervous. Knuffman is the only one who has college playing experience, and I think we know how well that went last year. Hopefully he's improved quite a bit, because I'm not sure that relying on a true freshman in high-pressure situations is the way we want to go usually.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

It would be interesting to know how the scholies are divided up among them but that knowledge is secret I guess.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:It would be interesting to know how the scholies are divided up among them but that knowledge is secret I guess.
Secret...probably not...public school pretty much has to keep that stuff public most of the time. I know that all employee salaries are freely available to go look up, so I'd imagine scholarship awards are also listed somewhere. That doesn't mean that it would be easy to find though. It's likely not posted online anywhere. Might even require some type of written request to either athletics or the NCAA (I'd imagine they have to report the details of the scholarship numbers to them every year).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000