The OVC, now and future

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
screamingeaglepride

If you Western Illinois fans do not know the Valleyhoopsinsider web page a new video of Paul Bubb being interviewed 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

screamingeaglepride wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:26 pm If you Western Illinois fans do not know the Valleyhoopsinsider web page a new video of Paul Bubb being interviewed 

Here's the video:
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

Bubb did mention that he wants to schedule Illinois St & Southern Illinois for non-conference games in the future.
pvk7072

Just announced ... Bryant football-only is leaving the OVC-Big South association next year. Don't know what this does to OVC football. Comments?

sealhall74

Sure would be nice if SIUe would strap on the pads.  They have (or had) a club football program in the past.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

pvk7072 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:12 am Just announced ... Bryant football-only is leaving the OVC-Big South association next year. Don't know what this does to OVC football. Comments?

I don't mind that they're going to the CAA. It makes sense for them being right in the same footprint and it eliminates the biggest travel outlier for us.
I did a post a few days ago about OVC/Big South football scheduling: https://www.leathernecknation.net/forum ... 707#p39707
Next year there will be 3 Big South members and 7 OVC members. You're probably looking at the Big South teams playing the other two Big South teams, then 6 of the 7 OVC members. OVC teams will probably play every other OVC team, plus 2 of the 3 Big South teams. I'd have to look at a few things to figure out if that would work out correctly though.

Also, CAA Football will be at 16 members, which is a lot for an FCS football conference (since we can't do championship games).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
screamingeaglepride

It does not look like the Big South-OVC Football Association will renew after 4 years. I look for Gardner Webb, Robert Morris and Charleston Southern join a conference for football only, The OVC really needs to look at Youngstown State as a football only member.
sealhall74

I would be pursuing D2 Univ of Indianapolis as a full member.  That would make an even 12 schools (I think).
Make them an offer too good to turn down.

https://reflector.uindy.edu/2022/11/21/ ... vision-ii/
Embrace the pace of the race.
pvk7072

Why the repeated interest in Youngstown State for football only? Why would USI be interested? Why would SIUe or Arkansas-Little Rock? They would be a geographic outlier for football, like Bryant. They are near Cleveland in northeast Ohio and a short punt from western Pennsylvania. I'm not so sure that addition would be in the best interest of the OVC, a conference in which geography matters. There are others, maybe not better but still suitable, though IMO a rehash is probably not needed for most people who follow this forum.

bignecks

I'm convinced everything isn't peachy with the dakota schools. My assumption is that the MVC won't be what it is now within a couple years. That could mean them going up to big D1. It could mean they go together to the summit and move the conference even more northwest. I think the OVC sits nice to be a landing point for a few MVC schools.