The OVC, now and future

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
vatusay

Not upset with move away from the dakotas honestly. The summit clearly centralized there and those schools are FBS/solid mid major programs. Just a lot more greenbacks in their pockets. And dare I say better leadership within the last couple decades.

Leaving the prestige of the MVFC does stink but I think for the athletics department as a whole the OVC is a much better fit financially, geographically, and competitively for WIU athletics. 

I think football competes in the OVC year in and year out. Decent shot at the playoffs where anything can happen. Same can be said for basketball. Doesn’t matter which seed you get in the tournament of 68. Anything can happen. We have all seen it. 

#ALLIN #YOLO
sealhall74

We were completely out of our league in the MVFC and Summit.  I made the rounds to a lot of the schools for road games in basketball and football. Our facilities and game atmosphere not even close to what they have.  The only downside I can see to the OVC is that the fan bases are a little on the "meh" side.  I mean, seriously, what schools have an active fan message board?  Tennessee State has one.  SEMO has a presence on CSNBBS.  Are there any others?
Embrace the pace of the race.
pvk7072

Actually, the OVC has a forum on CSNBBS. Link is https://www.csnbbs.com/forum-59.html

Signing up is free and easy. Or you can just read posts.

Others who have posted within the past year or two are from Southern Indiana, and a bunch from 2022 talking about OVC expansion, etc. But not many actual OVC member fans.

Maybe when you/someone finds a school link, posting it here and then posting there as a new OVC member fan can help build contacts. Didn't we get some contacts on this very thread early on? Would have to look back. Be great to swap tall tales around the conference.

screamingeaglepride was posting here for a while.

Last edited by pvk7072 on Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leatherneckcountry

pvk7072 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:33 pm Actually, the OVC has a forum on CSNBBS. Link is https://www.csnbbs.com/forum-59.html

Others who have posted within the past year or two are from Southern Indiana, and a bunch from 2022 talking about OVC expansion, etc. But not many actual OVC member fans.

Maybe when you/someone finds a school link, posting it here and then posting there as a new OVC member fan can help build contacts. Didn't we get some contacts on this very thread early on? Would have to look back. Be great to swap tall tales around the conference.

It is posted here up top

pvk7072

Missed it. But that's ok. A repeat can't hurt.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

pvk7072 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:33 pm Actually, the OVC has a forum on CSNBBS. Link is https://www.csnbbs.com/forum-59.html

screamingeaglepride was posting here for a while.

OVC Links at the top of the page: app.php/ovc-links
Logos link to official athletics sites, plus there's facebook, twitter, and forum (if I was able to find one) links.

I also need to see about adding the Big South teams when I get a few minutes.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

I have spent some time tweaking my online pickem game to handle the OVC, both football and basketball.  Anyone interested in making some weekly picks for the mens and womens hoops games?  Just as in the past, I would reward the winners with e-gift cards.  But it is hard to stir up interest without some really active fan board(s) to go to. I could start as early as next week and down the road include picks for the conference tournaments. Always had a reasonably faithful player group from the Dakotas where basketball right up there with religion and hunting in participation/interest level.

sealhall74

Here is the link to the OVC pickem game.  I will reach out to the boards to entice others to play.

OOPS. Hold off on signing up.  Need to check on something.
OK, it looks good for now.  But first week rollout always subject to some hiccups.

http://7.248.12.198.host.secureserver.net:3002/ovcb

If I get at least 10 players submitting picks during a week, I will reward the victor.
No games have been played yet this week, so all of this week's game are still open for picks.
EST, if you can add a convenient link to the app on this site, that would be nice.

I just now realized that the OVC has 3 teams with "Eagle"-like nicknames.  That is crazy.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:16 am Here is the link to the OVC pickem game.  I will reach out to the boards to entice others to play.

OK, it looks good for now.  But first week rollout always subject to some hiccups.

If I get at least 10 players submitting picks during a week, I will reward the victor.
No games have been played yet this week, so all of this week's game are still open for picks.
EST, if you can add a convenient link to the app on this site, that would be nice.

I just now realized that the OVC has 3 teams with "Eagle"-like nicknames.  That is crazy.

Link added to the top of the page.
Also, there's two teams that are something-hawks.
So, between Morehead State Eagles, Southern Indiana Screaming Eagles, Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles, Southeast Missouri Redhawks, and UT Martin Skyhawks, there's five out of 11 teams in the conference with "bird" mascots.

Also, in Incarnate Word Cardinals are in the conference for Men's soccer.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:36 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:16 am Here is the link to the OVC pickem game.  I will reach out to the boards to entice others to play.

Link added to the top of the page.
Also, there's two teams that are something-hawks.
So, between Morehead State Eagles, Southern Indiana Screaming Eagles, Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles, Southeast Missouri Redhawks, and UT Martin Skyhawks, there's five out of 11 teams in the conference with "bird" mascots.

Also, in Incarnate Word Cardinals are in the conference for Men's soccer.

We are only a Missouri State or Central Arkansas away from having a "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My" conference.