NMSU

wiu712

New Mexico State football team pulls away for first win of season.
From the Las Cruces Sun-News:
https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports ... 680511007/

sealhall74

Dumb question but you know me, I tend to ask them.  When your helmet comes off during the course of play, do you continue play as if it did not happen as best you can or do you turn the motor off to prevent potential injury?  Do any rules apply here other than you have to sit out the next play? 
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU2DC

Western_101 wrote:
WIU2DC wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:43 pm We are -20.5 in Vegas too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you had a typo. Lol, Western was never 20 point favorites.
Yeah, I meant +20.5 Image I started to tailgate early yesterday lol

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Dumb question but you know me, I tend to ask them.  When your helmet comes off during the course of play, do you continue play as if it did not happen as best you can or do you turn the motor off to prevent potential injury?  Do any rules apply here other than you have to sit out the next play? 
I believe the player is required to immediately cease play. If they remove themselves from the action, there is no penalty, but if they continue playing, there may be penalties.

If the player is a ball carrier, the play is blown dead at that spot/time.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
bignecks

I didn't think we were too scumbagish yesterday. It all started with the NMSU guy knocking the helmet off of our guy. I felt we were repetitively responding to their nonsense. 
vatusay

Morrisey looks like the real deal.

offensive line got their rear ends kicked all game. 

so many missed tackles. 

offensive skill positions look good. 
#ALLIN #YOLO
Leatherneck57

bignecks wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:35 pm I didn't think we were too scumbagish yesterday. It all started with the NMSU guy knocking the helmet off of our guy. I felt we were repetitively responding to their nonsense. 

Being on the sidelines I can assure you that NMSU wasn’t exactly playing the game the way it’s supposed to be played.  #11 was head hunting all night and #0 was even worse with cheap shots!  He was flagged twice with personal fouls.  

Our kids won’t play that game again.  And Jerry Kill is an Ass!  Always has been.  He should have looked at his own kids before he got in Myers ear!

Leatherneck57

vatusay wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:57 pm Morrisey looks like the real deal.

offensive line got their rear ends kicked all game. 

so many missed tackles. 

offensive skill positions look good. 

Morrissey is the real deal!  He’s a great leader.  Listening to him talk to the kids on the sideline is Like Sean did when he played.  Our center Ryan Merklinger is a great leader for the O line as well!  We have some good kids!  We had some skilled kids that didn’t make the trip because of illness.  

NMSU made a few adjustments in the second half that threw our O line out of whack but if you think about it after the D held them to a field goal we March down and get a 1st and goal inside the 10.  If we could’ve scored there and make it a 23-21 game who knows.  

Yes we gave up some bigs plays defensively and had missed tackles.  All correctable.  We had kids in position to make the plays…they just didn’t execute.

At the end of the day we played an FBS team that had a lot of depth at their skilled positions.  They were fast and strong.  We collected a pay check and got out of Las Cruces with no injuries.  We played with them for most of 3 quarters!

We’ll be ready for ISU…count on it!  

Last edited by Leatherneck57 on Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pvk7072

Re Leatherneck57 comment about Jerry Kill ... absolutely agree ...

Kill is about Kill, and winning is for Kill, even before his well-reported health problems. When he was at NIU, he left for the Minnesota HC job less than two weeks before NIU was to play in a bowl game. Some players found out via Twitter (now "X"). And he took the bulk of his staff to Minnesota. The NIU LB coach took over for bowl, which NIU won.

(Ironically, that LB coach was Tom Matukewicz, now HC at SEMO, who justifiably got credit for the win over Fresno State in the then-Humanitarian Bowl in Boise in 2010).

Western_101

Problem with hire of Myers Hendrckson is what our club desperately needed was legitimacy.  Plain fact is you are 34 years old. In the mind of the 60 year old coaches you are a position coach.  SMALL NAIA to essentially lower end G-5?  I don't doubt his love for the game. This league requires guys with more time at either big programs or successful small programs. I think this was a sentimental hire.  It is a hard sell also when all of his photos look like he is a comb over church preacher.