Volleyball 2023

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Indoor Volleyball has announced their 2023 schedule: https://goleathernecks.com/sports/women ... l/schedule
Normally not a big deal, but this is the first in the OVC and I wanted to take a look at the impact that moving to the OVC has made on travel in this sport (which is really where the cost savings will show up, I think...non-revenue sports).

I looked at last year's schedule, in the Summit League. We had a few situations that look like we probably did a "road trip" for games: Kansas City->Omaha->Denver; Fargo->Grand Forks; Vermillion->Brookings. Each one separated by no more than a couple days. So assuming we traveled from here, to KC, to Omaha, to Denver, then back home (rather than there and back individually), here's what the team covered in travel...
Total mileage - 10,560
Total hours - 165.75
Summit-only mileage - 6,296
Summit-only hours - 95.75

Now, looking at the OVC schedule, we don't have any "road trips" to save driving time/distance between nearby members, but overall the matches are closer...
Total mileage - 5,190
Total hours - 78
OVC-only mileage - 2,934
OVC-only hours - 50.5

So, purely from a conference schedule perspective, we're dropping our mileage traveled by about 47% and hours spent on the road by about 53%. The total numbers for the season are also about the same, but I know our OOC schedule will vary depending on who and where we play. For example in 2022 we had a three-match invitational in New Orleans, which added quite a bit of distance that year, whereas the furthest we go OOC this year is a 2-match invitational in Springfield, MO (Missouri State). So, comparing the conference-only time/distance is a bit more representative.

However you look at it, our athletics department is having to pay for about half as many miles of charter bus rentals, and our student athletes are spending about half as much time on the road getting to and from matches, which is going to be a pretty big deal for them, I think.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
pvk7072

Can anyone say why WIU only plays Lindenwood once? Means 17 sted of 18 OVC matches. Checked some other members, and they each play the others twice. Previous commitments? Just curious.

leatherneckcountry

pvk7072 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:48 am Can anyone say why WIU only plays Lindenwood once? Means 17 sted of 18 OVC matches. Checked some other members, and they each play the others twice. Previous commitments? Just curious.

I was confused to we only play SIUE once as well 
4EverPurple&Gold

0-5 to start the season... i swear this program is not fixable 
meganeck

the volleyball tream did pick up its victory of the season today beating Idaho. Hopefully that gives them some confidence and they can turn things around.
leatherneckcountry

Volleyball with more conferences wins than last year and only one game into conference play as the ladies win in 5 against SIUE
leatherneckcountry

leatherneckcountry

Volleyball picked up another conference win in 5 at Morehead 
4EverPurple&Gold

Getting swept by Chicago State... wow... this program is a dumpster 
Tere North

4EverPurple&Gold wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:09 pm Getting swept by Chicago State... wow... this program is a dumpster 

Rather than considering Chicago State the bottom of the barrel and thus Western even lower, why not take a look at Chicago State's Volleyball program.

This year
  • Beat Northern 3-2
  • Beat Northern 3-1
  • At the Windy City Classic
    • Lost to UC Irvine 1-3
    • Beat Jacksonville State 3-0
    • Beat SE Missouri State 3-0
  • At the Golden Grizzlies Invitational
    • Beat UMKC 3-1
    • Lost to Eastern Michigan 0-3
    • Beat Oakland 3-0
  • Lost to U of Tennessee 0-3