9/16/23 - vs Lindenwood

rocki

Didn't we miss a field goal early that would have tied the game? What is it with football and kicking now - so many high school games I watch ALWAYS go for a two point conversion. Doesn't appear kids are being schooled in the kicking game. Is it a conflict with high school boys soccer, or what? 

IMG_4748.jpeg
IMG_4748.jpeg (214.45 KiB) Viewed 695 times

rocki

Guest wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:22 am IMG_4748.jpeg

Sad, but true.
bignecks

My takes on the game. I was there in person. Both lines stink. Which is a shame given that there are more than enough big dudes in the midwest. The linebacking core is worse than last year while having most of the same players. Make it make sense. The secondary has a couple good players and a couple not as good. Our O line stinks so our running game can't get off the ground. I think Glatz is far better than Ludovick and really hope he gets more touches. Jay Parker is also really good. Mckinney is a good hand. The TE struggles at catching a bit. I think there's enough skill players for us to be successful if the line can do better. The QB is really good. He handles what he has to deal with about as well as he could. We have been far worse in the second half each game this year, make your guesses for why. I think we have a shot at a win still because there is some talent on the field and offensive playcalling is good. Maybe Indiana State. 
sealhall74

bignecks wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:46 pm My takes on the game. I was there in person. Both lines stink. Which is a shame given that there are more than enough big dudes in the midwest. The linebacking core is worse than last year while having most of the same players. Make it make sense. The secondary has a couple good players and a couple not as good. Our O line stinks so our running game can't get off the ground. I think Glatz is far better than Ludovick and really hope he gets more touches. Jay Parker is also really good. Mckinney is a good hand. The TE struggles at catching a bit. I think there's enough skill players for us to be successful if the line can do better. The QB is really good. He handles what he has to deal with about as well as he could. We have been far worse in the second half each game this year, make your guesses for why. I think we have a shot at a win still because there is some talent on the field and offensive playcalling is good. Maybe Indiana State. 

As for big midwest dudes, I would go with farm boys who baled a lot of hay in their day.  And I dont mean operating one of those newfangled things that automatically rolls the stuff up into a big round mass and leaves it out in the field.

Embrace the pace of the race.
4EverPurple&Gold

This is just stupid...

"The biggest positive is our players love each other, it means so much for them," coach Myers Hendrickson said. "The preparation and focus is there, it's why we jumped out to the leads we have, last week and this week. We came ready to play, we handled the adversity of the lightning delay early.

"Our leaders did a great job, we did some really good things offensively, the way we played was exceptionally well, so it's disappointing to not the results we wanted."
Let’s Go Western!

vatusay wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:42 pm Ok so to get the top talent in 1AA what is the selling point of WIU for talented perspective athletes. Ones that have other offers from 1A or other MVFC schools?  The facilities that are literally crumbling? Location in the middle of “forgottonia”? The enrollment that is half of what it used to be? The big crowds they play in front of? The party school western USED to be famous for (main reason WIU has gone in the toilet in my opinion) Let’s face it. There is not one draw here that another school doesn’t offer multitudes better in most of not all categories. The transfer rules changing has not helped one but either. That was WIU bread and butter drawing from BIG schools talented back ups that wanted to play. It’s sad what this university and program have come to. But they have no one to blame but themselves. 

Exactly!  I’ll second this! 👆 I think we have some really good players and we have been competitive in every game until midway through the 2nd half.  Why is that?  Are the O-Line & D-line unable to compete for 4 quarters?  On top of the X’ & O’s…unfortunately, the crowd is not the 12th man on the field.  The transition from 3rd quarter to 4th quarter hype by was abysmal.  IMHO…the team was dumbstruck at the comeback Lynwood was bringing, the cheer squad, band & music from the loud speaker on the scoreboard was all discombobulated and it seemed like they all had a separate agenda. It took fans to stand up and try to get a rally cry going several times in the 4th quarter.  Game day operations needs a cohesive plan for fan hype & atmosphere. We need to support the players and coaches that we have, so that they don’t get discouraged and jump ship.  That certainly will not help to rebuild this program.
sealhall74

We need a game day theme song that either the band or the music DJ breaks out exactly once a game at THE most opportune time.  We sort of have one (the Hey Sports song) but it is growing old. Dont ask me what it should be but it is something that each and every fan knows is coming and can't wait for it to get there so they can stand up and sing along, wave along, etc..  Wisconsin football has Sweet Caroline.  For the George Mason hoops fans, it was always Bon Jovi's Livin on a Prayer.  

Also, is it just me or does our down marker on the sideline get stuck on 4 a little too oflten?

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:27 am We need a game day theme song that either the band or the music DJ breaks out exactly once a game at THE most opportune time.  We sort of have one (the Hey Sports song) but it is growing old. Dont ask me what it should be but it is something that each and every fan knows is coming and can't wait for it to get there so they can stand up and sing along, wave along, etc..  Wisconsin football has Sweet Caroline.  For the George Mason hoops fans, it was always Bon Jovi's Livin on a Prayer.  

Also, is it just me or does our down marker on the sideline get stuck on 4 a little too oflten?

I thought Wisconsin's was "Jump Around" between the 3rd and 4th quarters?
But yes, there's a lot that could be improved with gameday operations and the timing of things.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:08 am
sealhall74 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:27 am We need a game day theme song that either the band or the music DJ breaks out exactly once a game at THE most opportune time.  We sort of have one (the Hey Sports song) but it is growing old. Dont ask me what it should be but it is something that each and every fan knows is coming and can't wait for it to get there so they can stand up and sing along, wave along, etc..  Wisconsin football has Sweet Caroline.  For the George Mason hoops fans, it was always Bon Jovi's Livin on a Prayer.  

I thought Wisconsin's was "Jump Around" between the 3rd and 4th quarters?
But yes, there's a lot that could be improved with gameday operations and the timing of things.

I dont know what it is could be Build Me Up, Buttercup.  If you have more than one, even better.  Even Wisconsin has some gameday issues.  Takes them a quarter and a half to fill in their student section in 1 row at a time.  I wish we had their problems.