9/16/23 - vs Lindenwood

sealhall74

So what do you think about this?  Not just us, but kids are wearing uniform pants cut well above the knees these days with much less padding and protection than uniforms from the past.  Do you think that factors into their willingness or unwilligness to engage in contact?
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Western did not punt in this game.  Lindenwood only punted once.

wiu712

The Referee issued a Warning to Western Athletics in the first quarter:  "Cut the music when the Offense breaks the huddle".

The music coming over the PA during the first quarter was extremely loud and would drown out the calls being made by the Public Address Announcer -- not to mention completely drowning out the Western Band who were playing at the same time.

You have to wonder ==>  Why did the Referee have to be one to make that announcement ???   That loud music should have been corrected on the spot by the Western A.D. or the Assistant A.D. for Game Day Operations.

dogwhisper

AD might have been busy working on some changes
HoosierNeck13

In listening to the game and checking the stats, IMO, defense cost us the game. Fix the defense or find a new DC!
leatherneckcountry

wiu712 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:27 am The Referee issued a Warning to Western Athletics in the first quarter:  "Cut the music when the Offense breaks the huddle".

The music coming over the PA during the first quarter was extremely loud and would drown out the calls being made by the Public Address Announcer -- not to mention completely drowning out the Western Band who were playing at the same time.

You have to wonder ==>  Why did the Referee have to be one to make that announcement ???   That loud music should have been corrected on the spot by the Western A.D. or the Assistant A.D. for Game Day Operations.

I feel like it’s been that way for years and that was the first time anyone has said anything 

sealhall74

So last Thursday me and the wife go to a Davenport middle school (7th and 8th grade) volleyball match.  It was a new experience for me, the only VB I have watched lately is the WIU women on ESPN.  The match started with 3 sets involving the so-called "B" players from each school.  That was pretty rough to watch to say the least.  Each set had a time limit on it or ended with first team to score 25.  I think the time expired on all 3 sets.  Kids just did not know where to be, 70% of serves or more never made it across the net.  If a serve was good, more often than not, the other team players did not communicate well and watched it fall or hit it out of bounds, brutal.  After that, the "A" team players took the stage.  Athletic looking, taller girls, serving overhand with authority.  There was a decent amount of setting up teammates, etc., more what I am used to seeing when watching some volleyball.  Best 2 out of 3 sets (25, 25, 15) with no clock to run out.

So, is that our problem.  We just have a shortage of "A" teamers on both sides of the ball?  

Oh, I forgot to mention all of the "B" teamers were wearing knee pads.  I don't think I ever saw one girl go down on the knees for a dig.    :lol:

Last edited by sealhall74 on Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let’s Go Western!

I think you have hit the mail on the head!  
vatusay

Ok so to get the top talent in 1AA what is the selling point of WIU for talented perspective athletes. Ones that have other offers from 1A or other MVFC schools?  The facilities that are literally crumbling? Location in the middle of “forgottonia”? The enrollment that is half of what it used to be? The big crowds they play in front of? The party school western USED to be famous for (main reason WIU has gone in the toilet in my opinion) Let’s face it. There is not one draw here that another school doesn’t offer multitudes better in most of not all categories. The transfer rules changing has not helped one but either. That was WIU bread and butter drawing from BIG schools talented back ups that wanted to play. It’s sad what this university and program have come to. But they have no one to blame but themselves. 
#ALLIN #YOLO
sealhall74

vatusay wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:42 pm Ok so to get the top talent in 1AA what is the selling point of WIU for talented perspective athletes. Ones that have other offers from 1A or other MVFC schools?  The facilities that are literally crumbling? Location in the middle of “forgottonia”? The enrollment that is half of what it used to be? The big crowds they play in front of? The party school western USED to be famous for (main reason WIU has gone in the toilet in my opinion) Let’s face it. There is not one draw here that another school doesn’t offer multitudes better in most of not all categories. The transfer rules changing has not helped one but either. That was WIU bread and butter drawing from BIG schools talented back ups that wanted to play. It’s sad what this university and program have come to. But they have no one to blame but themselves. 

Dont go after top talent.  Go after the Jaelin Acklins and Brandon Gilbecks of the world.  Guys mostly overlooked but with that innate athleticism and desire to get much better.  Both were difference makers and both are still making a buck or two in the pro ranks I think.