Hashtag, Embarrassing

rocki

Western_101 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:03 pm
Leathernecks1092 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:19 pm Can we be done with the hashtags? Tradition of Tough? Tradition of what?? I ate a high quality steak three weeks ago that was ten times tougher than this program! Pound The Rock? Pound the what? I've heard this for two years now. We couldn't pound our fist! Most people that refer to pounding the rock, put a strong emphasis on running the ball. Us? Well..... our running game leaves little to be desired. Did anyone think there might be a reason that no other D1 school was interested in Seth Glatz? I wish the kid the best, but I think other schools might have known what they were doing. There's not much more embarrassing than the opposing television announcers making fun of your coach's time management when they are up two touchdowns, getting ready to put the game away. Mind you, this was a game that we were in control of and lost by 20 points!!! Tradition of Tough? This bald, fat guy is already getting tired of sharing my Sunday musings, but I feel like this team might provide me good reason to hop back on, two weeks from tonight. When does basketball start?

A few thoughts, Are Coach Hen's big body's "soft bodies"?  Is our strength and conditioning program on par with peer programs? 

Seth Glatz had the unfortunate timing of having graduated at a time when there was an overabundance of skill players with the extra pandemic year and the portal. Seth is talented and durable. He has tremendous breakaway speed. He is a nimble back that needs a gap to be able to squirt through. If a gap or even a sliver is created he can get to the second level and has pretty good moves, If he gets to the secondary he will often accelerate into what appears to be his trajectory for the marker or the goal line only to plant his foot hard and change his trajectory enough to cause the pursuit angle of  d/backs safety to have to take a few steps to adjust...those lost steps in angle pursuit and his top end speed toward a pylon led to many many touchdowns. 

Seth Glatz is not Herb Donaldson, he is not a 6'2" 240lb bowling ball. He has durability to handle 40 carrys a game. He was probably under recruited because most teams had a skill player like him, he is talented and D-I caliber, maybe not special.  Was he,as a redshirt freshman, supposed to put the team on his back and create something out of nothing?  The Offensive line looks like our biggest liability.  This team is tired in the 4th quarter.

Just curious as to whether anyone has any insights on the strength and conditioning program. Is there a breakdown somewhere, do people not want to put in the time and effort, or what is going on?  When we do manage to hang in there in a game, by the 3rd or 4th quarter, we seem to be gassed. I don't know any of the personnel, so wondered if anyone else did.
dogwhisper

We are consistently the weakest and smallest team on the field, I don’t think we have our own S&C for football, most teams do.  I believe Coach Kreczmer is the strongest person on the team.
sealhall74

Not sure how good our S&C program is. Are we shortstaffed so the coaches in each sport have to deal with it?  Maybe.
I will relay something I saw posted way back in the Coach Fish days.  Video which showed guys and coaches in the weight room offering a lot of boisterous encouragement to those on the bench, no doubt trying for that PR even at the expense of good form and technique.  I was kind of shocked to see it because I was really into training at the time, having just earned a personal trainer certification from  NASM.  When working with heavy stuff, you never sacrifice good form.  I was so shocked I went over to the Bison athletic site and probed around there to see what they had going.  Lots of instructional videos showing weightlifting the way it should be done.  It was an eye opener for me.  That's what it takes to be the best.

Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:26 pm Not sure how good our S&C program is. Are we shortstaffed so the coaches in each sport have to deal with it?  Maybe.
I will relay something I saw posted way back in the Coach Fish days.  Video which showed guys and coaches in the weight room offering a lot of boisterous encouragement to those on the bench, no doubt trying for that PR even at the expense of good form and technique.  I was kind of shocked to see it because I was really into training at the time, having just earned a personal trainer certification from  NASM.  When working with heavy stuff, you never sacrifice good form.  I was so shocked I went over to the Bison athletic site and probed around there to see what they had going.  Lots of instructional videos showing weightlifting the way it should be done.  It was an eye opener for me.  That's what it takes to be the best.

Appreciate input. You are commenting on watching videos of guys doing a "hype" video from Coach Fisher days?  Hence you are making a comment about something that occurred six years ago.  Hype video does not equate to day to day Strength and Conditioning.  That being said, Our "Tradition of Tough" have produced the weakest players, the most gassed players in the league. 

Strength and conditioning are not responsible for this mess in its entirety. However you slice it WIU is a weak team that is gassed. I'm looking to fire two dudes.  ;)

I will not weigh in on the fate of Myers Hendrickson. He was eager and wanted to have a chance but "bitch please" two soft hires from Dr. Thomas' pick, Dr. Thomas got pretty nasty at the end. Nobody thought Ms Surprenat was the path forward. It was his final Fu8k you to our school. He got what he thought he would, sowed division and chaos, God love her Danielle has the distiction of the two worst back to back hires in history. Just as JT envisioned, poison their beloved football. Everyone knew why JT chose who he did. Petty men do vindictive things, like ya'know put this lady in charge and hire two utter disasters. She can't help herself, she wasn't qualified for the job, JT knew it, and relished in it.

loved Myers resume. I thought he was delusional. The previous AD couldn't separate passion from prudence. So here we are again with our soccer mom pick.  Wow, this guy has less experience than the last and is less qualified. He has passion, and that was enough for Dannielle.

Umm the school Myers was at had maybe 800 enrolled. 

sealhall74

Something worth considering IMHO is for the Athletic Dept to pay for a Personal Trainer certification for all incoming recruits during their freshman year.  Some kids come from a good HS program and it might be all old news for them.  Other kids have intentions to get a degree in kinesiology but they wont learn anything really useful until Junior and Senior years.  First year footballl players are usually red-shirted and have plenty of time to work on a certification.  Coaches should be dealing with recruiting, Xs and Os and should not be troubled with that level of training detail.  It should be a very good recruiting incentive as I don't think many schools are offering it.  The onlly negative I see is the cost (~$500) and that does not seem exorbitant to me.  I waited until I was 55 years old to get my certification, also the next one (Corrective Exercise).  I had no intentions of working with clients, just wanted to do things right for my own body. 

That old saying comes to mind.  "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:57 am Something worth considering IMHO is for the Athletic Dept to pay for a Personal Trainer certification for all incoming recruits during their freshman year.  Some kids come from a good HS program and it might be all old news for them.  Other kids have intentions to get a degree in kinesiology but they wont learn anything really useful until Junior and Senior years.  First year footballl players are usually red-shirted and have plenty of time to work on a certification.  Coaches should be dealing with recruiting, Xs and Os and should not be troubled with that level of training detail.  It should be a very good recruiting incentive as I don't think many schools are offering it.  The onlly negative I see is the cost (~$500) and that does not seem exorbitant to me.  I waited until I was 55 years old to get my certification, also the next one (Corrective Exercise).  I had no intentions of working with clients, just wanted to do things right for my own body. 

That old saying comes to mind.  "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

Would this be done by someone other than the strength and conditioning department? Since it seems to be a bit suspect already, would they even learn the right stuff?
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:22 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:57 am Something worth considering IMHO is for the Athletic Dept to pay for a Personal Trainer certification for all incoming recruits during their freshman year.  Some kids come from a good HS program and it might be all old news for them.  Other kids have intentions to get a degree in kinesiology but they wont learn anything really useful until Junior and Senior years.  First year footballl players are usually red-shirted and have plenty of time to work on a certification.  Coaches should be dealing with recruiting, Xs and Os and should not be troubled with that level of training detail.  It should be a very good recruiting incentive as I don't think many schools are offering it.  The onlly negative I see is the cost (~$500) and that does not seem exorbitant to me.  I waited until I was 55 years old to get my certification, also the next one (Corrective Exercise).  I had no intentions of working with clients, just wanted to do things right for my own body. 

Would this be done by someone other than the strength and conditioning department? Since it seems to be a bit suspect already, would they even learn the right stuff?

I assume the S&C folks would oversee the whole program and basically act as advisors instead of actually getting involved in the daily workouts.  A lot of it is just self-study and then applying the principles of what you learn to your own body or someone elses.  There are a few different vendors for the certification and study materials (ACE, NASM, ...).  I went with NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine) and thought it was really good.  My wife got here certification through ACE. If your S&C staff is limited, doing things this way makes a lot of sense to me.

jtrinaldi

Can’t even cover a 35 point spread much less win a game. If memory serves me right, the last spread we covered was SDSU last year