State of the Program- Post Week 7 Edition

Rockydog

rocki wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:17 am If you use Facebook at all, peruse this thread. There is a post by Evan Crum that talks about the state of the football team and alumni dissatisfaction with it. However, nobody seems to want to "pass the hat" so to speak,  to fundraise. There is also downright apathy from people that are more interested in the arts. Doesn't seem to be too encouraging as it now stands (as far as getting alumni to  pony up extra $$$$ for facilities, etc).

Where’s the thread?
pvk7072

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:12 am
pvk7072 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:50 am You also have to consider other effects of dropping football. E.g., I could be wrong, but USI sans football appears to have no marching band. They do have a jazz band, which is probably great for bball etc. Logical, though. Why have a band for a fall parade when you're Homecoming is indoors in early February with MBB/WBB games as the centerpiece? The whole concept of Homecoming -- and participants -- changes without football.

BTW, SIUE does have a "concert band." So I'd imagine the WIU band could perform several times in the new CPA.

Asking ST_Lawson ... how many students are in today's band, and when/where do they perform? Thanks.

If you have the numbers like GMU does, the band can be awesome indoors.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gmu+gre ... 0PUjo,st:0

-------------------------
Your link doesn't work. It comes up, blanks out, then shifts to "Mason Madness," a specific event." IMO here is a better one to see it all: https://www.greenmachine.gmu.edu/

I went over what GMU did, and it's terrific. But is WIU prepared for a complete overhaul of Homecoming including major community events? I also already mentioned using the CPA, and I would guess the band will be prepared to do that anyway.

Not saying the above is a reason to keep football; just that the program is not the only major factor affected.

rocki

Rockydog wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:18 pm
rocki wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:17 am If you use Facebook at all, peruse this thread. There is a post by Evan Crum that talks about the state of the football team and alumni dissatisfaction with it. However, nobody seems to want to "pass the hat" so to speak,  to fundraise. There is also downright apathy from people that are more interested in the arts. Doesn't seem to be too encouraging as it now stands (as far as getting alumni to  pony up extra $$$$ for facilities, etc).

Where’s the thread?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WIUMegaReunion

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

pvk7072 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:50 am You also have to consider other effects of dropping football. E.g., I could be wrong, but USI sans football appears to have no marching band. They do have a jazz band, which is probably great for bball etc. Logical, though. Why have a band for a fall parade when you're Homecoming is indoors in early February with MBB/WBB games as the centerpiece? The whole concept of Homecoming -- and participants -- changes without football.

BTW, SIUE does have a "concert band." So I'd imagine the WIU band could perform several times in the new CPA.

Asking ST_Lawson ... how many students are in today's band, and when/where do they perform? Thanks.

Very true...you know I'd hate to see the Marching Leathernecks disappear.

We have quite a few if you're talking about just the number of bands.
Wind Ensemble, Concert Band, and University Band are three different "levels" of your traditional "sit down concert-type band" (Wind Ensemble is the top concert band, University Band is at the other end and is more for non-music majors who played in HS and want to keep playing for fun).
Then there the WIU Chamber Players and WIU Chamber Winds, two "chamber ensembles" (smaller group of musicians...originally meant to be performed in palace chambers or a large room in someone's very nice/large home). There's also the WIU Symphony Orchestra (has string instruments...most of the previously mentioned ones don't)
On the "Jazz" front, we have the top level (Grammy-nominated) Jazz Studio Orchestra, Jazz Band, and Chamber Jazz (smaller group).
There's also more "specific" ensembles, such as the Steel Band, Brass Ensemble, President's International String Quartet, etc.
And finally the Athletic Bands: Marching Leathernecks (who have maybe about 80 or so members currently, I think) and the Pep Band.

The Marching Leathernecks perform at all home football games, for the faculty assembly and Western Welcome/Rocky After Dark at the beginning of the school year, Homecoming parade, and the WIU Marching Band Classic (HS Marching Band Competition...this year, that occurs tomorrow when 31 HS bands come and perform/compete at Hanson Field.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
bignecks

The athletic department is planning to fund improvements to the football field in a couple years and you guys are talking about cutting football. Please calm the panic.
leatherneckcountry

bignecks wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:10 pm The athletic department is planning to fund improvements to the football field in a couple years and you guys are talking about cutting football. Please calm the panic.

Lol we have heard that for 30 years people have stopped falling for that 
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:25 pm
bignecks wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:10 pm The athletic department is planning to fund improvements to the football field in a couple years and you guys are talking about cutting football. Please calm the panic.

The turf is getting a facelift in the next year or so, I think Bubb said that.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:31 pm

I would guess that they do that after this season since they’ll have to change conference logos. But the turf is the least of the problems when it comes to the stadium 

sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:37 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:31 pm

I would guess that they do that after this season since they’ll have to change conference logos. But the turf is the least of the problems when it comes to the stadium 

I ask this every time it happens.  Could the old turf be moved to the baseball infield or some other place to make things more weatherproof?

sealhall74

Our OLine is big but way too slow.