Myers Hendrickson 2024

Shall Western Illinois University retain Myers Hendrickson for 2024 season?

Retain Coach Hendrickson
29%
Do not retain Coach Hendrickson
71%

Total votes: 17
bignecks

I've been really disappointed about how the entire defense has gotten worst. Guys who played well last season stink now. Quinney is like the only guy who hasn't regressed. 
Rockydog

Having players on the team I can tell you first hand that Myers and other coaches need to go.  There is no leadership and the players are defeated and embarrassed.  They are not giving hardly any of the younger players/back ups an opportunity, while the starters continue to get destroyed week after week.  We came from a top HS program with some of the best coaches ever, and we could not be more disappointed in our decision to come to WIU.
4EverPurple&Gold

Rockydog wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:25 pm Having players on the team I can tell you first hand that Myers and other coaches need to go.  There is no leadership and the players are defeated and embarrassed.  They are not giving hardly any of the younger players/back ups an opportunity, while the starters continue to get destroyed week after week.  We came from a top HS program with some of the best coaches ever, and we could not be more disappointed in our decision to come to WIU.

This right here from someone that has players on the team is all we need to know. 

Awful to hear and I feel bad for them. 

Western_101

My point on attempting to get a figure of yearly compensation on a three year contract for Coach Hendrickson was grounded upon how unprecedentedly ridiculously low his compensation appears to be.  I'm sure Danielle, thought she was brilliant!  Any coach that actually believes they are legit will ask for the Moon, or ask the HIGHEST possible salary (this position should command $200-$300k per year).  The fact that these numbers look so much like what a YMCA directror would make is laughable.

Nothing about this inspires confidence or competency. Legit D-I programs that "pull the plug" are buying out multi million dollar contracts.

We can not afford $100k?  How in the World can this university masquerade as D-I when they can't buy out 100K ?

This is Surprenant's mess.  If Bubb continues with this insanity HE WILL OWN IT!  Sometimes things don't work out. People in leadership have to make tough decisions sometimes.  We can't afford to buy out 100K?  We can not afford another ZERO win season.

"NECK UP" !
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Western_101 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:58 am My point on attempting to get a figure of yearly compensation on a three year contract for Coach Hendrickson was grounded upon how unprecedentedly ridiculously low his compensation appears to be.  I'm sure Danielle, thought she was brilliant!  Any coach that actually believes they are legit will ask for the Moon, or ask the HIGHEST possible salary (this position should command $200-$300k per year).  The fact that these numbers look so much like what a YMCA directror would make is laughable.

Nothing about this inspires confidence or competency. Legit D-I programs that "pull the plug" are buying out multi million dollar contracts.

We can not afford $100k?  How in the World can this university masquerade as D-I when they can't buy out 100K ?

This is Surprenant's mess.  If Bubb continues with this insanity HE WILL OWN IT!  Sometimes things don't work out. People in leadership have to make tough decisions sometimes.  We can't afford to buy out 100K?  We can not afford another ZERO win season.

"NECK UP" !

If that is indeed his salary, then that is ridiculously low for a DI head coach. I'm almost wondering if it was the AD's intent at the time that we would move to D2 eventually.
Going from NAIA to D1 HC is a HUGE jump, but NAIA to D2...much less of a jump.

Assuming Hendrickson was hired to be an eventual D2 coach, around $100k would be about right. I did a quick check over at the d2football.com forums and it looks like the top D2 head coaches make in the range of around $130k-$150k for example:
Pittsburg State's HC Brian Wright made $153k in 2022; you have to search his name here to find it: https://kansasopengov.org/databank/payr ... employees/). Since I was on the Kansas salaries site, I also searched for:
Emporia State HC Garin Higgins (~$140k)
Fort Hays State HC Chris Brown (~$147k).
Since I was looking at MIAA schools, I also took a look at the Missouri database:
Central Missouri HC Josh Lamberson (~$128k)
Missouri Southern HC Atiba Bradley (he coached LBs for us in '13-'14...makes ~$124k now)
NW Missouri State HC Rich Wright ($145k)
Missouri Western State HC Matt Williamson (~$112k)
GLVC member Truman State's HC Gregg Nesbitt ($~93k)

So, if Hendrickson is actually making ~$97k, then we're paying him like a mid-level D2 head coach. I guess that bodes well for if we need to buy him out...but how anyone expects us to compete in the MVFC (or even the OVC) when we're only getting D2-level coaches is anyone's guess.

For comparison, SIU HC Nick Hill signed an extension last year that pays him $250k the first year, then $15k more each season after that, for 5 years. In 2022 (the year that it's listed that Hendrickson made $97k and before Hill signed his new deal), Hill made ~$233k. Spack at Illinois State made $366k, Curt Mallory at Indiana State made $241k. Also, in 2021, Jared Elliott made $170k here.

The only thing that makes me thing something might be incorrect is that if I check out the same database/site that listed Hendrickson's salary at $97k, it lists EIU HC Chris Wilkerson at $80k for 2022, although it's possible they're doing the same thing we are and having to pay the HC a low salary, at least for the first few years...or something is off with the data and it's only showing part of the year (like, it's prorated or something).

Looking around the rest of the OVC...
SEMO HC Tom Matukewicz - $215k
TTU HC Dewayne (Douglas) Alexander - $176k
UT Martin HC Jason Simpson - $157k

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:37 am
Western_101 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:58 am My point on attempting to get a figure of yearly compensation on a three year contract for Coach Hendrickson was grounded upon how unprecedentedly ridiculously low his compensation appears to be.  I'm sure Danielle, thought she was brilliant!  Any coach that actually believes they are legit will ask for the Moon, or ask the HIGHEST possible salary (this position should command $200-$300k per year).  The fact that these numbers look so much like what a YMCA directror would make is laughable.

"NECK UP" !

If that is indeed his salary, then that is ridiculously low for a DI head coach. I'm almost wondering if it was the AD's intent at the time that we would move to D2 eventually.
Going from NAIA to D1 HC is a HUGE jump, but NAIA to D2...much less of a jump.

Assuming Hendrickson was hired to be an eventual D2 coach, around $100k would be about right. I did a quick check over at the d2football.com forums and it looks like the top D2 head coaches make in the range of around $130k-$150k for example:
Pittsburg State's HC Brian Wright made $153k in 2022; you have to search his name here to find it: https://kansasopengov.org/databank/payr ... employees/). Since I was on the Kansas salaries site, I also searched for:
Emporia State HC Garin Higgins (~$140k)
Fort Hays State HC Chris Brown (~$147k).
Since I was looking at MIAA schools, I also took a look at the Missouri database:
Central Missouri HC Josh Lamberson (~$128k)
Missouri Southern HC Atiba Bradley (he coached LBs for us in '13-'14...makes ~$124k now)
NW Missouri State HC Rich Wright ($145k)
Missouri Western State HC Matt Williamson (~$112k)
GLVC member Truman State's HC Gregg Nesbitt ($~93k)

So, if Hendrickson is actually making ~$97k, then we're paying him like a mid-level D2 head coach. I guess that bodes well for if we need to buy him out...but how anyone expects us to compete in the MVFC (or even the OVC) when we're only getting D2-level coaches is anyone's guess.

For comparison, SIU HC Nick Hill signed an extension last year that pays him $250k the first year, then $15k more each season after that, for 5 years. In 2022 (the year that it's listed that Hendrickson made $97k and before Hill signed his new deal), Hill made ~$233k. Spack at Illinois State made $366k, Curt Mallory at Indiana State made $241k. Also, in 2021, Jared Elliott made $170k here.

The only thing that makes me thing something might be incorrect is that if I check out the same database/site that listed Hendrickson's salary at $97k, it lists EIU HC Chris Wilkerson at $80k for 2022, although it's possible they're doing the same thing we are and having to pay the HC a low salary, at least for the first few years...or something is off with the data and it's only showing part of the year (like, it's prorated or something).

Looking around the rest of the OVC...
SEMO HC Tom Matukewicz - $215k
TTU HC Dewayne (Douglas) Alexander - $176k
UT Martin HC Jason Simpson - $157k

I hope they are paying him at least what Elliott got, although I think his wife is also working for the Athletic Dept in some sort of academic counseling fashion so maybe that could be a factor in the his salary.  Actually, I see her title is Assistant Director for Athletic Academic Services.  

Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:30 am I hope they are paying him at least what Elliott got, although I think his wife is also working for the Athletic Dept in some sort of academic counseling fashion so maybe that could be a factor in the his salary.  Actually, I see her title is Assistant Director for Athletic Academic Services.  

Wow, wife and Dad made his coming a 3-way package deal.

vatusay

There is no way his salary is only 100k
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Saw a post on facebook that said he had a 5-year contract (I had initially assumed 3-year since that seems to be the "standard" for a contract for a new HC).
Maybe that was the trade-off...he signs for just under $100k, but it's for 5 years rather than the usual 3?

Do with that information what you will.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:25 pm Saw a post on facebook that said he had a 5-year contract (I had initially assumed 3-year since that seems to be the "standard" for a contract for a new HC).
Maybe that was the trade-off...he signs for just under $100k, but it's for 5 years rather than the usual 3?

Do with that information what you will.

Maybe Danielle was smarter than we thought.  Knew this rebuild could not be done in 3 years.
Embrace the pace of the race.