Myers Hendrickson 2024

Shall Western Illinois University retain Myers Hendrickson for 2024 season?

Retain Coach Hendrickson
29%
Do not retain Coach Hendrickson
71%

Total votes: 17

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:57 pm Hendrickson is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess they found the money after all. 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Guest wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:57 pm Hendrickson is gone.

Guess they found the money after all. 
Or enough of it to come to some agreement. You have to imagine that he realized he was in over his head, and winless seasons don’t look good on a resume. If I was in that kind of situation and someone offered me something like one more year’s salary to go find a job that fits better, I’d take it.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

It's kinda tough to dump a guy after 2 years, but 2 winless years & the last half of the season was all blowouts makes it an easier call. So it seemed the players had given up with the lack of competitive games. Was Myers in over his head, it looks that way, but I'll admit I thought it was a good hire. Can't remember who else was up for the job, if it was even known. Anyway need to get it right and hopefully after the hire, they can start to look into improving the facilities.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:02 pm It's kinda tough to dump a guy after 2 years, but 2 winless years & the last half of the season was all blowouts makes it an easier call. So it seemed the players had given up with the lack of competitive games. Was Myers in over his head, it looks that way, but I'll admit I thought it was a good hire. Can't remember who else was up for the job, if it was even known. Anyway need to get it right and hopefully after the hire, they can start to look into improving the facilities.

I remember thinking that I was a bit worried about his lack of experience. He'd been a HC for 3 years at an NAIA school, where he'd taken a program that had a history of success (13-1 the year before he took over) and kept the success going. Btw, Kansas Wesleyan has gone 8-3 the last two years after he left....so it's hard to tell how much of that success was due to him, and how much was due to just a culture of winning that he was able to keep rolling. He had no experience taking over a team with a lot of weak spots and turning it into something better.

I wish him the absolute best wherever he ends up...he's still a MHS and WIU alumni and probably loves this town and school...but this just wasn't the job for him at this point in his life.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Leatherneck Football to Make Coaching Change.

​​​​​​Western Illinois Director of Athletics Paul A. Bubb has announced a change in Leatherneck Football leadership, effective immediately. 

"After careful consideration and evaluation of our Leatherneck football program, I have determined that a change in leadership is a necessary step to move the program forward," Bubb said. "I want to thank Coach Hendrickson for his service to Western Illinois University and wish him well in his future endeavors." 

A national search is underway and will be conducted by WIU Athletics. Brandon Kreczmer will serve as interim head coach until a permanent coach can be named.

leatherneckcountry

I’m shocked that there are people on twitter who don’t agree with this decision 
rocki

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:07 pm I’m shocked that there are people on twitter who don’t agree with this decision 

What is their reasoning for disagreeing with the decision? Do they even follow football?
sealhall74

You knew Myers was going to recruit "good kids" and run a clean program.  We could have done a hell of lot worse than hire him.  Several years back, I recall reading something said by some coach at some level, cant find it but still looking to see who said.  Basically, his take was that "good kids" will eventually cost a coach his job.  I tend to agree with it.  You have take some risks as a coach, especially at this level, to recruit the really good athletes and playmakers.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:55 pm You knew Myers was going to recruit "good kids" and run a clean program.  We could have done a hell of lot worse than hire him.  Several years back, I recall reading something said by some coach at some level, cant find it but still looking to see who said.  Basically, his take was that "good kids" will eventually cost a coach his job.  I tend to agree with it.  You have take some risks as a coach, especially at this level, to recruit the really good athletes and playmakers.

Obviously I'm not a coach, but I find the  "good kids will cost a coach his job" incorrect. 
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:08 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:55 pm You knew Myers was going to recruit "good kids" and run a clean program.  We could have done a hell of lot worse than hire him.  Several years back, I recall reading something said by some coach at some level, cant find it but still looking to see who said.  Basically, his take was that "good kids" will eventually cost a coach his job.  I tend to agree with it.  You have take some risks as a coach, especially at this level, to recruit the really good athletes and playmakers.

Obviously I'm not a coach, but I find the  "good kids will cost a coach his job" incorrect. 

When someone says "good kids", generally speaking, you refer to those kids who are of high character and stay out of trouble.  I grew up in a small town alongside lots of those kind of kids, none of them good enough to step foot on the football field at a D1 institution.

Embrace the pace of the race.