Wisconsin Game

HoosierNeck

Had a chance to scout Wisconsin last night (it makes it easier when they play on National TV):

OFF-They have a BIG O-LINE (typical Badger style); they average about 6'5 and 310lb across the line (rough avg)
Melvin Gordon is a VERY good RB;powerful but has really good speed
They have a 6'6 QB who is a dual threat (didn't have much success throwing but can run)
#16 Reggie Love (WR) scored on a 45 yd reverse (only 1 catch for 2 yards but I could see him being a dangerous weapon)

DEF-They are running a new 3-4 Defense
This makes them lighter, faster and can edge rush

Key to success for WIU:

OFF: Run up the middle
Give Norvell time to throw and he can be successful
Use some trick plays to keep them off balance

DEF-Contain Gordon (easier said then done-he runs behind a big line and is tough to bring down)
Get into the backfield
Force a turnover or two

Any feedback is welcome.
Last edited by HoosierNeck on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
sealhall74

Most importantly, need to go into these kind of games thinking that you CAN win them. If (correction, when) things don't go your way early in front of that big crowd, take a lesson from the Bison and stick with the game plan. If you get a turnover in your favor, you must capitalize - no three and outs. Keep it close and that big crowd and their suddenly silenced and worrisome attitude will become your best friend.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

I agree everyone should go to every game with the mind set that they can win. That being said I predict a 45 - 14 game with Wisconsin winning.
HoosierNeck

We need to get the ball first and score (I was at the game in '06; we kicked off and fooled them with an onside kick, which we recovered. We ran a few plays and kicked a field goal to go up 3-0. Although we ended up losing 34-10, that field goal was a big morale booster). We don't have the firepower to match them score for score and if they score first, it could be a long game).
WIU0812

I would be very satisfied if we ended on a 34-10 score especially against the number 14 team in the nation. This is a team that had they won yesterday, which they should have, they would of been bumped up most likely inside top 10 and some have predicted they would make it into the playoffs, not sure if that will happen now with the loss. I do think that we have the size to compete against them on the OL, just hope that they are fast enough to block their DL.
BobLovely

After I graduated from Western, I lived in Madison for 13 years and attended many games at Camp Randall. It is an intimidating place to play for any visiting team. The crowd is vocal, the stadium is a closed bowl and there many loud traditions at games. The student section is a "madhouse" once they get going which will take awhile with an 11:00am kick-off. This may work to the advantage of WIU early in the contest. The Badgers are clearly hurting emotionally [based on media accounts] after essentially blowing the game against LSU. They may start slow as a result. Once the Badgers shake the malaise from losing, this will be a tough game for the Leathernecks.

Bob
Western_101

Madison is an awesome town. I wish I lived there. I couldn't afford the tickets and jacked up hotel rates for the upcoming game, but, will be up there the following week for Betty Lou cruise, Ale Asylum tour, Oktoberfest.........

I am looking forward to seeing the 'Necks on National TV! My score prediction is 37 to 14 Badgers.
WIU0812

Looks like their "Starting QB" Joel Stave is listed as injured for this weekends game due to a shoulder injury.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

They also might greatly limit the playing time of Melvin Gordon (RB) due to a hip injury he sustained this last weekend against LSU (if we see him at all...they may just sit him for the game).
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... ury-vs-lsu
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
lovethenecks

This is what the so-called experts are saying about the game. No Points in first half they project, touchdown late in 4th.

Final Score: Wisconsin 48, Western Illinois 10