Head Coaching Search

rocki

I'm more curious to find out who is interested in the position and then look at pros and cons. Dreaming is fun, but I'd rather see the credentials of actual individuals who would want the position.
Rockydog

Early names to watch for WIU job

https://x.com/Rivals_Clint/status/17271 ... 59045?s=20

Ugh.  Jeff Thorne was a DIII HC, I don’t see how that is any better than Hen coming from NAIA, and John Holecek was a High School HC.  Let’s hope these are not our contenders.
leatherneckcountry

This just looks like a list someone Threw together why would an NFL coach leave for here
dogwhisper

Rockydog wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:26 pm Early names to watch for WIU job

Ugh.  Jeff Thorne was a DIII HC, I don’t see how that is any better than Hen coming from NAIA, and John Holecek was a High School HC.  Let’s hope these are not our contenders.

Let’s not compare anything to a NAIA school out in Kansas that has women’s flag football, the Myers hire was out of desperation because nobody wanted the job, will be the same thing this time as well, best to find somebody who has coached against other institutions that has a clue.

Rockydog

dogwhisper wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:54 am

Let’s not compare anything to a NAIA school out in Kansas that has women’s flag football, the Myers hire was out of desperation because nobody wanted the job, will be the same thing this time as well, best to find somebody who has coached against other institutions that has a clue.

DIII is NOT > NAIA IS THE NAIA AS GOOD AS THE NCAA?NAIA programs are comparable to NCAA D3 schools. Top-level NAIA programs match the talent found at mid/high-level NCAA D2 schools. Sometimes athletes will select a top 25 NAIA program over a lower ranked D2 program because the competition level is quite similar.

dogwhisper

Rockydog wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:00 am

DIII is NOT > NAIA IS THE NAIA AS GOOD AS THE NCAA?NAIA programs are comparable to NCAA D3 schools. Top-level NAIA programs match the talent found at mid/high-level NCAA D2 schools. Sometimes athletes will select a top 25 NAIA program over a lower ranked D2 program because the competition level is quite similar.

North Central beats every NAIA Playoff team by two scores.  NAIA doesn’t have many rules and different eligibility qualifications, usually the end of the road for sub par students and athletes, same with coaches

Rockydog

dogwhisper wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:13 am

North Central beats every NAIA Playoff team by two scores.  NAIA doesn’t have many rules and different eligibility qualifications, usually the end of the road for sub par students and athletes, same with coaches

You are absolutely wrong, but if you want die on the DIII hill, by all means do it.

I personally have no interest in seeing a coach with only DIII experience take over at WIU.  It’s almost as if other “professionals” had the same option as you, then our guy wouldn’t have been at the DIII level for so long.  I mean, if being a great DIII coach was such a strong indicator, it’s almost as if a DII school would have wanted them 🤷🏻‍♀️

sealhall74

Bob Nielson came into a very tough situation at WIU and had the immediate 3-year successes that so wowed USD that they simply played "poach a coach" and offered him a deal he could not refuse. No wasting time fielding a bunch of resumes.  I would like to think we could "poach a coach" coming from a similar situation, REGARDLESS OF LEVEL.  If you can turn a program the right direction in 2 or 3 years, you have proven yourself as a strong recruiter and game manager.

Embrace the pace of the race.
Rockydog

Oh, and you do realize that DIII DOES NOT offer athletic scholarships, right?!  So at least the “sub par” NAIA coaches are used to dealing with scholarship athletes…

dogwhisper

Rockydog wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:27 am

Oh, and you do realize that DIII DOES NOT offer athletic scholarships, right?!  So at least the “sub par” NAIA coaches are used to dealing with scholarship athletes…

Correct they offer “scholarships” or coupons/rebates just like D3, my point is why would you hire a NAIA coach who is out of region that has no experience dealing with recruiting NCAA athletes. At least hire somebody from the region that has recruited under the same governing body as WIU.  Again our best bet is to hire a solid D2 coach from MIAA/NSIC but I don’t see any of those guys taking this job because it’s a step back in resources.