Welcome to Macomb Coach Davis!!

QLotVeteran

I like the hire.  Never been a HC, but has had some Asst- HC experience.  Ran several good offenses, and several different FCS stops.  Alos knopws our new Conference, so that will help.  

Great day to be a Leatherneck!  Let's GO NECKS!! 
wiu712

34blast

Would be nice if there was a bit more write-up to read about our new head coach, besides the Twitter

Seems solid, I will definitely be rooting for the new coach.   I've been a bit disconnected from the university for the last 10 years living in Texas.    When I visited this year,  I was so shocked at enrollment,  difference in campus,  and lack of success in football.     I hope to make it back this fall,  but hard with son playing football in college.
wiu712

34blast wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:42 am Would be nice if there was a bit more write-up to read about our new head coach, besides the Twitter

Joe Davis Named Western Illinois Football Coach.
https://goleathernecks.com/news/2023/12 ... coach.aspx

34blast

wiu712 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:59 am
34blast wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:42 am Would be nice if there was a bit more write-up to read about our new head coach, besides the Twitter

Joe Davis Named Western Illinois Football Coach.
https://goleathernecks.com/news/2023/12 ... coach.aspx

Thanks!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Over on AGS, a UNI guy sent me a link to a story about Davis's time coaching for them (Mark in this story is UNI HC Mark Farley):
Long story short....

Had a scrimmage in mid-August in Grundy Center because he wanted to play outside on grass before playing Iowa State and our outdoor was the old garbage pit.

Joe Davis had been hired as OC and put in an uptempo, fast break, throw it all over offense that was snapping the ball every seven seconds with Eli Dunne running it over Bailey.

That night he was absolutely shredding the defense. Up and down the field, touchdown after touchdown, just electric.

Problem being that plays were going in and being run before Mark could think about them and because they're calling two or three at a time, Mark couldn't step in and overrule them. It was just too fast for him and he'd lost control.

Called Joe Davis in the following Monday, told him that he was going to decide who played quarterback (Bailey) and that they were going to slow it down and run the ball.
Assuming we can get the players to execute it, it could be a pretty fun offense to watch. The downside is, if you don't pick up first downs, then you can end up with a 30-second 3-and-out before the defense goes back on the field.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

Do we know when the press conference will be to introduce him? Why is there a delay, does it have to do with it being finals week or something else, maybe Davis asked for it to be delayed?
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:20 am Over on AGS, a UNI guy sent me a link to a story about Davis's time coaching for them (Mark in this story is UNI HC Mark Farley):
Long story short....

Had a scrimmage in mid-August in Grundy Center because he wanted to play outside on grass before playing Iowa State and our outdoor was the old garbage pit.

Joe Davis had been hired as OC and put in an uptempo, fast break, throw it all over offense that was snapping the ball every seven seconds with Eli Dunne running it over Bailey.

That night he was absolutely shredding the defense. Up and down the field, touchdown after touchdown, just electric.

Problem being that plays were going in and being run before Mark could think about them and because they're calling two or three at a time, Mark couldn't step in and overrule them. It was just too fast for him and he'd lost control.

Called Joe Davis in the following Monday, told him that he was going to decide who played quarterback (Bailey) and that they were going to slow it down and run the ball.
Assuming we can get the players to execute it, it could be a pretty fun offense to watch. The downside is, if you don't pick up first downs, then you can end up with a 30-second 3-and-out before the defense goes back on the field.

There's a guy a Twitter, who I have seen in a couple replies really praising Davis, calls him a future P5 coach. Not sure who he is but he seems to think highly of Davis.

Rockydog

meganeck wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:54 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:20 am Over on AGS, a UNI guy sent me a link to a story about Davis's time coaching for them (Mark in this story is UNI HC Mark Farley):
Long story short....

There's a guy a Twitter, who I have seen in a couple replies really praising Davis, calls him a future P5 coach. Not sure who he is but he seems to think highly of Davis.

Great to hear!