At Tennessee State

wiu712

WGEM Prediction:   Tennessee State 69, Western Illinois 68

NecksFan1523

Hoping the the boys have a craving for some revenge this afternoon in Nashville. With how well we play on the road, and how minus the 1st 8 minutes after the halftime, we were the much better team in Macomb, I think we have a pretty good chance today. Things that need to happen/should be fixed from the 1st game to help guarantee the victory. 

Get the bigs involved with the offense: In the game at home out big post players (Cisse, West, and Knox) combined for only 8 points and 6 offensive boards. We do need to have a perimeter game with Myers, Dent, and Kalakon, but 3s have been too inconsistent to rely on them. Get the ball close to the rim and make those high percentage lay-ups and dunks

Make lots of free throw attempts: Another benefit of getting lots of shots close to the rim is hopefully we'll get lost of free throws as well. The percentage may not be pretty, but Coach has been really pushing that strategy this year, plus it gets them in foul trouble.

Keep it close: Each road win we've had, we were never down by more then 6 points, and for a majority of games, lead all or most of the contest. We're not built to come from behind, and doing so on the road is even more of a challenge. Keep it close, or better yet, stay out front all game.  Go Necks!
sealhall74

Am I correct in saying USI and Lindenwood can qualify for the conference tournament but cannot advance to the NCAA if they win?
Or are they not even allowed in the tournament because they are stilll transitioning?
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

Leathernecks doublin down on TSU at the half 34-17.  They cold as ice but I would not look for them to finish that way.
sealhall74

UT Martin also winning over Morehead St at the half.  We win, MSU loses, that game on Thursday becomes the biggest game at Western Hall in many a moon.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:16 pm Am I correct in saying USI and Lindenwood can qualify for the conference tournament but cannot advance to the NCAA if they win?
Or are they not even allowed in the tournament because they are still transitioning?

Both teams played in last year's conference tournament.

If a team that is not eligible for the NCAA Tournament wins the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament, the conference's automatic bid goes to the tournament runner-up. If that team is also not eligible, i.e. two ineligible teams met in the tournament final, the automatic bid goes to the highest seeded tournament-eligible team.

vatusay

Why can they not put teams away. 
#ALLIN #YOLO
sealhall74

vatusay wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:12 pm Why can they not put teams away. 

When the pressure is on, they dribble too much instead of increase motion and pass the ball IMO.
sealhall74

UT Martin wins, 3 teams (including WIU) now in 2nd place, a W on Thurs will put us in first guaranteed.
Whats not to like, Pack the Hall. 

wiu712

Western wins 68-61

Western finishes the road portion of the OVC schedule with an 8-1 record.  The only conference road loss was to Morehead State on Jan 27 (64-50).

Western now has 10 road victories this season --  the most since the 1957-58 season when the team won 11.  That team played in the NAIA Championship game -- losing to Tennessee A & I (now Tennessee State) 85-73.

The 10 road wins ties Western with U Mass - Lowell as the only teams in Division I men's basketball with 10 road victories.

Ryan Myers led the Western scoring with 21 points.

Western was 18 of 26 (69%) on free throws.

Attendance at Tennessee State = 1,479

Current OVC Standings:
Morehead State  11-3
Western  10-4
Little Rock  10-4
Tennessee-Martin  10-4
SIU-Edwardsville  8-6
Tennessee State  8-6
Eastern Illinois  7-7
Tennessee Tech  4-10
Southern Indiana  4-10
Southeast Missouri State  3-11
Lindenwood  2-12

*** BIG game in Macomb on Thursday night when Morehead State comes into Western Hall.