Site Admin

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

I’m trying to figure out where that enrollment he drove is at 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:41 pm I’m trying to figure out where that enrollment he drove is at

The article didn't say which direction it was driven.
wiu712

Western Illinois University president stepping down.
From Tri-States Public Radio, WIUM-FM:
https://www.tspr.org/tspr-local/2024-03 ... pping-down

meganeck

Well Tere is happy. Once again an important search and hiring coming up. For the locals were there whispers about this or did it come out of left field or is there more to the story. Anyway I hope they can get some good and who will stick around for more than a couple years.

The article I saw gave credit to Huang for increasing the international student enrollment.
rocki

I'm local, and I hadn't heard anything about this prior to his announcement. I am wondering what the real scoop is, though. This just doesn't sound quite right.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:56 pm Well Tere is happy. Once again an important search and hiring coming up. For the locals were there whispers about this or did it come out of left field or is there more to the story. Anyway I hope they can get some good and who will stick around for more than a couple years.

The article I saw gave credit to Huang for increasing the international student enrollment.

I hadn't heard anything about it, and my wife, who has much more of a line on the upper-level administrative goings-on was also completely blindsided by it.

Someone else mentioned that they thought that his wife had gotten a job somewhere else maybe last semester (she's a college-level professor/instructor) and that their daughter who is middle-school aged had gone with her. In the press release, it says that he wanted to be closer to his family.

My guess based on what I've heard is that the board might have said "you get a 1-year contract to show X amount of improvement in enrollment". When it became evident that that number or whatever metric they decided on was not going to be reached, his wife looked elsewhere for a job, with the plan for him to eventually step down and join her.
sealhall74

Running the U in Macomb and solving all the problems reminds me of tackling a bushel of black walnuts:

1) Messy and lengthy process - you can't rush it (some initial air drying always required)
2) The shells are stubborn things - various tools and techniques might be needed to ultimately crack them.
3) Not every piece of walnut comes out of the shelll in pristine condition.

Let's bring in someone who has a great recipe for black walnut fudge and be happy.

Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:03 pm
meganeck wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:56 pm Well Tere is happy. Once again an important search and hiring coming up. For the locals were there whispers about this or did it come out of left field or is there more to the story. Anyway I hope they can get some good and who will stick around for more than a couple years.

I hadn't heard anything about it, and my wife, who has much more of a line on the upper-level administrative goings-on was also completely blindsided by it.

Someone else mentioned that they thought that his wife had gotten a job somewhere else maybe last semester (she's a college-level professor/instructor) and that their daughter who is middle-school aged had gone with her. In the press release, it says that he wanted to be closer to his family.

My guess based on what I've heard is that the board might have said "you get a 1-year contract to show X amount of improvement in enrollment". When it became evident that that number or whatever metric they decided on was not going to be reached, his wife looked elsewhere for a job, with the plan for him to eventually step down and join her.

Interesting, thanks for your insight Scott.

wiu712

Not sure if this is related or just a coincidence ...............

Western Illinois faces a federal complaint regarding scholarships.
From The Center Square - Illinois:
https://www.thecentersquare.com/illinoi ... 5c975.html