Transfer portal

Bball Fan

It officially opens Monday, but already reading about players entering it. I  know our Coaches will work it hard. Not sure if we will have any players entering.  
meganeck

I saw WIU was one of 35 teams to contact a guard from VMI who entered the transfer portal.
meganeck

Not surprised but I see KJ Lee has entered the portal also.
leatherneckcountry

meganeck wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:17 pm Not surprised but I see KJ Lee has entered the portal also.

I really thought he had a chance to be one of the main guys this year but he just looked uninterested when out there 

sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:26 pm
meganeck wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:17 pm Not surprised but I see KJ Lee has entered the portal also.

I really thought he had a chance to be one of the main guys this year but he just looked uninterested when out there 

I think he lost confidence/interest coming off the bench for not too meaningful minutes.  Could he be the next Kobe Webster for some team?  Maybe with the right coach.
Embrace the pace of the race.
vatusay

Webster went to the big 10 and got solid minutes. 

for some reason I don’t think Lee will follow the same path. 

#ALLIN #YOLO
sealhall74

vatusay wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:41 pm Webster went to the big 10 and got solid minutes. 

Are we putting muscle on our guys while we got'em?  I can only think of 2 players in the last 12 years that changed their bodies while at WIU (McAvoy and Big Mike) and I think they did the work on their own, not because of our wonderful strength and conditioning program.
bignecks

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:23 pm
vatusay wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:41 pm Webster went to the big 10 and got solid minutes. 

Are we putting muscle on our guys while we got'em?  I can only think of 2 players in the last 12 years that changed their bodies while at WIU (McAvoy and Big Mike) and I think they did the work on their own, not because of our wonderful strength and conditioning program.

I disagree with this idea so much. Even before this staff, Brandon Gilbeck went from string bean to a stout 7 footer. We've watched Kalakon go from string bean to 6 pack. Even Braden Lamar was stout this season. We clearly have a good system for packing muscle on guys (while keeping them healthy too)
sealhall74

bignecks wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:41 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:23 pm

I disagree with this idea so much. Even before this staff, Brandon Gilbeck went from string bean to a stout 7 footer. We've watched Kalakon go from string bean to 6 pack. Even Braden Lamar was stout this season. We clearly have a good system for packing muscle on guys (while keeping them healthy too)

A six pack for a basketball player is about as useful as teats on a boar.  You are right about Gilbeck though.  I forgot about him.   Ideally, you develop explosiveness and a few inches in the vertical jump.  Gilbeck made the most athletic play I have ever seen from a big man at Western.  Ran the court like a deer to block a shot from behind one night.  I will never forget that. 

Konchar from Fort Wayne is the gold standard for body changes during a college career that I have seen in person.  Put on about 45 solid pounds of muscle out of high school.  Still playing in the NBA.

Also, at the tournament, we did not look stout at all compared to Little Rock. They kicked our asses 1-7