Western @ Youngstown State - 10/11/14

WIU0812

I know EIU has a few non-major sports in the Summit League so depending on how they feel about their Summit League membership would depend on a move, but I do not see this happening.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:I know EIU has a few non-major sports in the Summit League so depending on how they feel about their Summit League membership would depend on a move, but I do not see this happening.
Yea, it's pretty unlikely. I'd love to see it, but I doubt it will happen any time soon.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

This would most likely be a multi-year process and the only way they would join if there truly was a split in conference so they had a better shot at playoffs and they would also increase recruiting by saying they are in the top conference.
sealhall74

WIU0812 wrote:This would most likely be a multi-year process and the only way they would join if there truly was a split in conference so they had a better shot at playoffs and they would also increase recruiting by saying they are in the top conference.
They can currently say they have the FREE as in "F R E E" OVC Digital Network. That has to be a big plus for recruiting. Someday, the MVFC and Summit League will do it too but I am not holding my breath. My bet is that majority of schools are raking in so little money by charging for it that their interests would be far better served by giving it away.
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

[tweet]520680651297947648[/tweet]

If just a little of that championship mentality rubs off on the boys, we will be in good shape tomorrow.

Mike Wagner looks like he could still pick off a pass or two.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Is that a new thing that they've started doing recently...having former Leathernecks that had success at higher levels speak to the team? I know that they had Frank Winters (Center for the Packers for many years) speak to the team before their game at Wisconsin. Now it's Mike Wagner (defense for the Steelers during the "Steel Curtain" years) speaking before the game at Youngstown State (which is far western Ohio...nearly Pennsylvania).

I hope this is a sign that the Athletics department is heavily reaching out to former Leathernecks turned NFL players...if we can get them more involved in the team, maybe we can eventually see about getting some of them more involved in giving back in other ways ($$$).
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:Is that a new thing that they've started doing recently...having former Leathernecks that had success at higher levels speak to the team? I know that they had Frank Winters (Center for the Packers for many years) speak to the team before their game at Wisconsin. Now it's Mike Wagner (defense for the Steelers during the "Steel Curtain" years) speaking before the game at Youngstown State (which is far western Ohio...nearly Pennsylvania).

I hope this is a sign that the Athletics department is heavily reaching out to former Leathernecks turned NFL players...if we can get them more involved in the team, maybe we can eventually see about getting some of them more involved in giving back in other ways ($$$).
Mike Wagner does seem to be hanging out around lots of money these days, being a bank VP. :mrgreen:

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/p ... l?page=all
wiu712

Besides being on ESPN3, the game will also be available via First Row Sports. Game time in the list is 18:01 (6:01 PM).
http://ifirstrowus.eu/sport/american-football.html
BobLovely

I knew Mike Wagner during my time at Western. He was very focused on football and his performance on the field. Great guy!

Bob
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Remember, we'll have the Live Gameday chat for this weekend's game. I'll try to be around for a large part of it (although I might need to step away for a bit at times to help get the kids to bed).