11/22 - vs Indiana State

Western_101

I really don't see the Leathernecks getting the win Saturday. Team does not seem to be at same level of play as when playing NDSU. Also, what is there to play for? There won't be more than 2,000 people in the stands. Winning would insure a losing record again, just the same as losing would. Transversely ISU is playing for their first playoff appearance in the history of the program (I don't actually know if that is true). ISU has everything to play for and everything to gain, and are pretty good this year. WESTERN has not beat a VALLEY team at home this season.
Western_101

Another rambling thought:

It was an absolute travesty that The Leathernecks gift wrapped and gave the ILLINOIS STATE game away.

WESTERN caught NDSU in a funk and was leading most of the game, the Leathernecks likely could have stole that game from NDSU, instead.......UNI ends up being the one's to slay the dragon.

Maybe this is typical of a team that is talented and turning the corner but just not quite there yet. The teams that they play that are better on paper, end up finding a way to win, even if the other team has an "OFF" game. Perhaps that comes from leadership on the team, or being talented enough to dig deep late and rally? Perhaps it has to do with coaching?

I think WESTERN has a chance to be good next year and make the playoffs. Perhaps I am delusional.
Neckfansince71

Now u may think I am nuts but I think WIU takes this one away from the Sycamores and spoils their playoff hopes! ;) jc
Necks2003

While they may have nothing to play for, misery loves company and knocking someone else out of contention to continue their season is a little bittersweet. Plus you always have to play the last game as if it were your last to send the seniors out on a positive note.
Neckfansince71

Nothing to play for?. How about all the youth football games they played in, all of the high school practices and games, all of the early morning weight lifting and training dates. The summer sweats! You don't a walk out on to the field your last time with nothing to play for. The Necks are very dangerous at the moment! ;) Jc
Western_101

Yes the Leathernecks have pride to play for and an obligation to send the Seniors off with a win. Hope that is enough, to get the W. The outing last week in Brookings was rather uninspiring.

BTW, I looked it up and INDIANA STATE has been to the playoffs. 30 years ago the sycamores had a 9 win season and met MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE in the first round of the playoffs.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/di ... esults.php

yikes, 30 years is an awfully long time to not be relevant. (They had a nice season in 1995 and, 2012 but still....)
sealhall74

Something to play for or not, this can be a very emotional time for the players and their families. Different team, different sport, but many years ago IU Coach Bobby Knight started a tradition that lives on today. Just getting to the mic on Senior Night was a goal to prepare for and cherish. The speeches are given after the game and sometimes extend late into the night - maybe a few fans leave but not many. My eyes are still tearing up after watching some of these videos this morning and I did not even recognize the names.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co ... u/2557959/

[youtube][/youtube]

I would love to see a tradition like this established for all of our senior athletes. Furthermore, I would love to see some room in some hall/building on campus dedicated to honor all seniors who stuck it out through thick and thin. Have some big screen TVs in there so students and fans can re-watch the speeches along with other Leatherneck sports highlights. Yea, I know. We are not IU but we are W1U.

Alright, enough melodrama for today.

Go Leathernecks! Shake them Trees.
Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

I wish the Sycamores were playing someone else. Like their coach and they seem to have some pretty good players. I'd love to see them make the playoffs and the Valley have as many teams as possible in, but sadly they'll lose this weekend 45-31.
wiu712

The game is listed as being available on both ESPN3 and First Row Sports.

ESPN3 ==> http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/ty ... /football/

First Row Sports ==> http://ifirstrowus.eu/sport/american-football.html
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Looks like they've taken out most of the precipitation from the forecast. It's saying mid-50s and cloudy for around gametime. There is a chance of rain for later in the evening, but probably not much during the game.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000