Horizon/OVC

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
vatusay

Perfect. Add Rifle.
#ALLIN #YOLO
sealhall74

vatusay wrote:Perfect. Add Rifle.
I have $1K donation ready to upgrade/build the shooting range. I just want one free practice session in it. lol
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

I assume there is a mens and womens Rifle so there is the 7 / 7 that is required. I know the police have a pistol range outside of town next to Spring Lake, but doubt there is any way that area is good for rifles. Would most likely need a large open area that a huge berm can be built on. The school has pieces of land all over, may be something for the Horn Field Campus to look into if it ever did happen.
sealhall74

WIU0812 wrote:I assume there is a mens and womens Rifle so there is the 7 / 7 that is required. I know the police have a pistol range outside of town next to Spring Lake, but doubt there is any way that area is good for rifles. Would most likely need a large open area that a huge berm can be built on. The school has pieces of land all over, may be something for the Horn Field Campus to look into if it ever did happen.
NCAA competition is always indoors. We already have an indoor range inside Horribin Hall which is used for ROTC training. Might need upgrade to meet NCAA standards though.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:I think the DI requirement for sports offerings is minimum 7M/7W or alternatively 6M/8W.
For comparison purposes, Division II colleges have to sponsor at least five sports for men and five for women, (or four for men and six for women), with two team sports for each gender, and each playing-season represented by each gender.

Several people have mentioned the possibility of the University of Illinois system adding Western into its mix (along with UIC and UIS). This would be similar to what is done in Wisconsin.

Many of the "UW's" operate at the Division 3 level. For example UW-Oshkosh. Oshkosh is the third-largest university in Wisconsin with an enrollment of 13,900. They play at the Division 3 level.
WIU0812

UIUC adding WIU or any other school is most likely not realistic and like I said before if they did I think their first move would be to shut down WIU as it would be like running a business where one of your branches is doing poor, either you keep shelling money to it and hope something changes or you shut it down and make sure the rest of company is doing well. I think WIU is on its own and will have to find ways for cost savings. I do not see the DII switch being much more cost saving than just adjusting the way we operate as DI other than we could drop even more sports and a few less scholarships to fund. The school needs to sit down and definitely approach some options before it gets much worse on the funding side. Get in front of this early and make the cost saving moves and the school will weather the storm.
Western_101

The UW system throughout the state of Wisconsin is peculiar.

D-III UW Whitewater football has better facilities and is more competitive than 3/4 of all of FCS.
Tere North

I have a hard time seeing why the same number of sports for men and women is equal when one of those men's sports is football. Look at the number of opportunities for student athletes in respect to the number of students. Football offers more scholarships for male student athletes as Western than all the women's teams combined.
Neckfansince71

Redneck, I agree with your "peculiar" statement. UWW does have a significant football stadium and a very classy field house volleyball facility attached to a gym that seats about 3000. Every time I went there to visit my daughter I just shook my head in disbelief. We all have learned that student body size does not necessarily equate to D1 program, and surprisingly facilities either in some cases. I just have to question the lack of direction the WIU program took during the 80's and as funds decreased it got tougher and tougher to find the money to improve the facilities. Illinois schools can not use public tax funds on athletic facilities. With that in mind, in the 60's EIU built a gym facility that could not be used for track and field which allowed them to include a field house in the equation all in the name of physical education and student use. WIU tried to create a facility that could be used for a variety of things, basketball, volleyball, track and field, PE, and intramurals. Unfortunately, it was not designed to do anything well. You should have heard the band Chicago" in concert back in the early 70's! The reverb was unbelievable. ;) jc
vatusay

I would be curious to see a complete breakdown of the football budget. If i was a betting man i would say that the "money" games they play partially goes towards other sports at wiu.

7/7 mens to women is the same ratio it is now at 10/10, removing same three sports across the board. Eliminating costs equally on each side. Does cheer leading or dance offer scholarships? Honestly dont knkow
#ALLIN #YOLO