Horizon/OVC

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
sealhall74

RedNeck wrote:IPFW is a commuter school, hardly any students actually live on campus. Hard to imagine IPFW would be an attractive addition for the Horizon.

I guess Ft. Wayne is a decent sized market and it is in the Geographical footprint of the Horizon, but, do the Mastodons even have a fan base? I mean if IPFW is like IUPUI....students that graduate actually get an INDIANA degree or PURDUE degree.
No fanbase at all, but they do have the best looking cheerleaders in the Summit and it is not even a close contest.

[youtube][/youtube]

I really missed those girls staying in my hotel in Sioux Falls this year. They like to hang out at the indoor pool and hot tub. :lol:
Embrace the pace of the race.
Necks2003

Hard to believe that guy in the beginning is so intent on watching his cell phone. You would think that kind of activity should get anyones attention. Although it does slightly remind me of a few years ago when the WIU cheerleader made ESPN top plays of the day when she drilled Rocky during a basketball game
vatusay

May have to make a few IPFW home games next year.
#ALLIN #YOLO
rocki

Cheerleaders not withstanding, I also think football is the "big draw" sport at Western. Yes, the team has been less than outstanding for a while, but it still seems to attract supporters (and advertisers).
leatherface

Back when my wife and I were at WESTERN, and since then, I believe WESTERN has always been viewed as a football school, more than basketball. In fact, if football was ever taken away- which won't happen- I really doubt I would follow much of anything at WESTERN. It's the only draw I have to go to the web site or really look on here. I guess it's my long lasting affinity to WIU.
sealhall74

I 100% agree about the importance of football to Western. We really cannot afford to have any multi-year "downer" stretches. I feel we are headed in the right direction now and other sports will be able to feed off that success when it gets here.
leatherface

My understanding is the exit fee from the Summit has been raised to $1,000,000. I'm afraid we are in it for the long haul. For a school who can't even get enough money to renovate the west stands for their premier sport, this travel drain will result in more of the same, more of the same.

Still a WESTERN football supporter.
WIU0812

I suppose we do not get a discount for being a founding member, I am sure they could still shop around because a little math on costs may show that if another league is willing to eat 50% or more of that buyout then there is a chance that within a few years the savings may be worth it. I do not see Western switching anytime soon, but definitely would love to hear that they are looking at all the options in cost savings for the future of the schools athletics.

I am not sure how many people would agree, but I am not a big fan of the way the summit league is set up currently, it is definitely not a WIU friendly league. I do like that they are getting coverage and the new arena, but just think it is all set up for WIU failure and Dakotas Success. Plus traveling to somewhere to the south where it is warmer for games sounds great!
sealhall74

$1M for a buyout in the Summit League? Wow, I guess we are 1/50th the conference that the ACC is with their $50M buyout.

I seriously wonder if some sort of dynamic conference alignment strategy would work for the NCAA. Sort of like that game of Life if you have seen that one. Use a few simple rules involving factors like athletic teams performance, location, enrollment, budget, sponsored sports, public or private, etc. and let a computer go to work every three or four years and realign every NCAA school. I think it could work but the NCAA might need another division or two at the DI level to make it work really well.
Western_101

WIU0812 wrote:I suppose we do not get a discount for being a founding member, I am sure they could still shop around because a little math on costs may show that if another league is willing to eat 50% or more of that buyout then there is a chance that within a few years the savings may be worth it. I do not see Western switching anytime soon, but definitely would love to hear that they are looking at all the options in cost savings for the future of the schools athletics.

I am not sure how many people would agree, but I am not a big fan of the way the summit league is set up currently, it is definitely not a WIU friendly league. I do like that they are getting coverage and the new arena, but just think it is all set up for WIU failure and Dakotas Success. Plus traveling to somewhere to the south where it is warmer for games sounds great!
Agree with you WIU0812, Not loving being in the old North Central Conference.