Which Stadium is D-I?

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
Neckfansince71

So it seems to me that The "east side" stands were renovated to the tune of 5 million, all coming from student fees 8 years ago. And then 4 years ago the matrix turf was also completed to the tune of 1.3 million which was also suppose to include the new scoreboard but the turf ate that up too. With some imagination and a couple of visits to Madison and Evanston the scoreboard/video board also became a reality just last year which proved to be truly a nice touch. So that's 6.3 million of student fees spent over the past 8 years. (Scoreboard not included). In recent years student fees have also been used to reclad and modernize Thompson, refit Corbin/Olson, and spruce up the union, something that was needed as much as the west side. The rec center and it's addition were also paid for with student fees. I am not sure what is next in line. Illinois State spent 20 million of student fees on its stadium renovation which included loges and boxes along with upgraded stands and press box. This money became available when their arena was totally paid for. Not sure how renovation of their dorms is going but when I visited a few years ago there was a lot to be done. It's funny, I have been to dorms at some big time schools (Madison & Ames) and they leave a lot to be desired too, but boy do they have nice stadiums. The "Gorilla" cage was renovated in 2001 to the tune of 5.6 million raised from private funds. D2 championship followed. Private funds, finding the "lead" gift, that's the million dollar question! Maybe Bruce Rauner would like to get the ball rolling. ;) jc
WIU0812

I think if the school can land a few large donors and a few corporate sponsors with a lead sponsor for the stands they will make an announcement this year, but I they need to get these items in a line first.
Western_101

I can understand why some people think that Western competes at the D II level. Taking into account WIU does not compete at same level as the UofI and the Necks don't play in bowl games one might surmise looking at the facilities that this is in fact a D II school.

By the way, how do so many D II schools in Missouri have such nice facilities?
sealhall74

RedNeck wrote:I can understand why some people think that Western competes at the D II level. Taking into account WIU does not compete at same level as the UofI and the Necks don't play in bowl games one might surmise looking at the facilities that this is in fact a D II school.

By the way, how do so many D II schools in Missouri have such nice facilities?
That is easy to answer. 1) They have the common sense to realize that not every school can or should play at the top level and 2) their city by the lake (Branson) does not suck up the state funds quite as much as that Ilinois city by lake.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherface

Seal makes a good point. As a group, for many years they have worked together to provide opportunities for athletes who might not have Mizzou talent, but, who want to stay in state and continue on as a college athlete. Those schools have a lot of school pride too. Also, their athletes have a chance to play for a national championship, and many have. Because of that, fans and alumni support them. There's no image among students, athletes, or general public that these athletes compete at a "lower" level. Yes, it's D2, but, the perception is that they attract very good athletes who stay in state. They have athletes who could easily play in the MVFC- for example.

The state of Missouri also supports these schools by providing opportunities to keep athletes interested in the state supported universities.

The motto of D2 and its schools is- " We choose D2". They know their resources. Some have looked at moving up, but in the end it has always been- why? What do we gain. Float around in the bottom of D1, or give students a chance to play for a conference or national championship. It's not worth the money to move up.

Another reason for this interest- THEY HAVE HUGE RIVALRIES with each other. They have played each other for years, have the same philosophies and the same goals.