Tommy Bell Gone

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
sealhall74

I am a little disappointed but not overly. The money is definitely not there and this course of action makes that obvious. On the positive flip-side, maybe the admins were really totally blown away by Matt's job performance thus far and willing to give him a shot.

Regardless, now it is what it is. Matt has a JD degree so I assume he has a very good head on his shoulders. For many years, I worked alongside a colleague who also had a JD (Georgetown) and he chose to apply his skills in the technology field instead of the legal arena where he could have made much more money. I have never met a more focused and driven individual - now owning his own software development company here in the DC area. Success in life is largely determined by how well you do find your true calling. Maybe Matt has found his and can provide the much-needed "kick in the pants" to the program. But one thing is for sure, status quo absolutely will not get us into the upper echelons of the MVFC/Summit League and keep us there.

Leatherface, hopefully coaches are thinking what they should be thinking: How can I achieve more with less.

So, is Matt's first job to fill his old position or are we moving forward shorthanded? It will be interesting to see where we go from here. ;)

Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

Dissappointed? Most definitely. But trying to get some lemonade out of the darn lemons, perhaps this is an excellent time to get Athletics out of Student Services and directly under the President.
rocki

Tere North wrote:Dissappointed? Most definitely. But trying to get some lemonade out of the darn lemons, perhaps this is an excellent time to get Athletics out of Student Services and directly under the President.

You apparently have a lot more faith in the President than I do..... :|
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote:
Tere North wrote:Dissappointed? Most definitely. But trying to get some lemonade out of the darn lemons, perhaps this is an excellent time to get Athletics out of Student Services and directly under the President.

You apparently have a lot more faith in the President than I do..... :|
Or at least more faith in the President than in the people in charge at Student Services. Overall level of faith in either could still be very low.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

Neckfansince71 wrote:Spent most of the day working with Matt at the LC Golf outing. Young, smart, determined with a true insight and vision for WIU athletics. He is not interested in tredding water athletically! Of course this is my opinion! ;) jc
I hope you're right.. would be nice to start seeing or hearing about his ideas
wiu712

meganeck wrote:Would be nice to start seeing or hearing about his ideas.
I am interested in hearing what his plans are to improve both the appearance and safety concerns for the west stands at Hanson Field.

Long deferred maintenance has left us with an unattractive grandstand and also with significant Life Safety Code issues--especially for older individuals.
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote:Or at least more faith in the President than in the people in charge at Student Services. Overall level of faith in either could still be very low.
True Scott!
wiu712

Interim A.D. Matt Tanney will be having his 1st press conference today.
leatherface

Can you pass along the highlights- if you are there or hear it on the radio?
meganeck

talked a lot about how the state budget has things in limbo for university and athletic dept. Said the West Side of the football field is the "gorilla in the room"

Talked about finishing towards the bottom in the cup standings and need to improve on that.
Did do some sprucing up of the West Side
Also Matt did put a plan (can't remember his exact words) together under Tommy but was never released.

That's all I can remember - maybe someone else can add more. Local media will probably report more also.