Tommy Bell Gone

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
meganeck

It is being reported Tommy will be named SIU AD today. He seemed to do a good job in his small time at WIU, but its probably for the best because his heart wasn't at WIU. Time to move on and see who they can get.
huskie

Let the JB Biernbaum era begin. I think he would be great for athletics.
sealhall74

The Dawgs getting a good one back on their campus. Congrats to him and them. Let the search begin. I am far removed from situation, but my two in-house favorites at this moment are 1) Coach N himself (I believe he did both jobs before at UM-D) and 2) Algerian Hart who did the keynote at the WESPYs the other night (something about him fired me up). Both choices would be "unconventional" but I think "unconventional" is the best approach for where we are right now. Let the HC of our signature program lead the programs or bring in a guy who can really inspire people to get the job done.

Do we wait until after the announcement to start up our Next AD Poll?
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherface

I would not be in favor of Coach N, he has yet to prove he can be successful at this level, and doesn't need the added - hugely important- job of AD. I don't know who the other two fellows are who Seal mentioned. The department likely needs some stability in leadership.
WIU0812

http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/article/2 ... /150509965

Report from Voice.

WIU needs someone who is forward thinking and has some knowledge of cost effective improvements. We will need a guy who can take a small budget and make it look big. I agree that at the DI level even FCS you can not be a AD and Head Coach and be successful at both so Coach N is out. I have no idea when it comes to AD's and who would be a fit for the school, but it is hard to imagine being able to hire another proven veteran of the position and get the results we need with the funds we can provide. Maybe I am wrong, but I am thinking younger like in early 40's AD who has perhaps worked at schools with similar budget. Stability Stability Stability has to be a key with someone who can come in for 5+ years and not up and leave like what Tommy is doing. This could in the long run push any large athletic projects back another year as the new AD will want to review any plans to be put in place and cut the fat he does not like from them. Someone who is really good at following these kinds of items needs to start a post for who will fill the position once Tommy is gone. Would be nice to start seeing some options that may be available. I would expect some committee to be formed to find the new AD.

Tommy if you read this forum I appreciate what you did and if you had any brilliant ideas please leave a list for the future of WIU. All the best!
sealhall74

WIU0812 wrote:http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/article/2 ... /150509965

Report from Voice.

WIU needs someone who is forward thinking and has some knowledge of cost effective improvements. We will need a guy who can take a small budget and make it look big. I agree that at the DI level even FCS you can not be a AD and Head Coach and be successful at both so Coach N is out. I have no idea when it comes to AD's and who would be a fit for the school, but it is hard to imagine being able to hire another proven veteran of the position and get the results we need with the funds we can provide. Maybe I am wrong, but I am thinking younger like in early 40's AD who has perhaps worked at schools with similar budget. Stability Stability Stability has to be a key with someone who can come in for 5+ years and not up and leave like what Tommy is doing. This could in the long run push any large athletic projects back another year as the new AD will want to review any plans to be put in place and cut the fat he does not like from them. Someone who is really good at following these kinds of items needs to start a post for who will fill the position once Tommy is gone. Would be nice to start seeing some options that may be available. I would expect some committee to be formed to find the new AD.

Tommy if you read this forum I appreciate what you did and if you had any brilliant ideas please leave a list for the future of WIU. All the best!
So Bear Bryant was not successful? LOL
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

Ya but that was a whole different era of sports that is like comparing apples to oranges. Just a lot to deal with now that I feel like a coach would not have the time to worry about.
Tere North

huskie wrote:Let the JB Biernbaum era begin. I think he would be great for athletics.
JB a supporter, yes. For AD, no. Nor do I think Athletics should remain in Student Services.

I think Tommy brought a lot to Western, and I hope we can find someone of his caliber to replace him. Definitely no one on staff now. It will be interesting to see who becomes interim and who we get next. Honestly, those decisions will be affecting my pledges.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Lisa Melz-Jennings (http://goleathernecks.com/staff.aspx?staff=156) is still in the department, I believe, and was interim director between Van Alstine and Tommy Bell. I think she'd probably be a good choice for at least the interim position (if she's willing to do it again).

I agree that we probably need someone with some fresh ideas from outside the university to come in and figure out how to do a lot with very little (money). Do we go for someone who's an assistant AD at a higher-profile school or a current AD at a slightly lower-profile school? Or someone else entirely?
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

Interim is Matt Tanney http://www.goleathernecks.com/news/2015 ... =athletics

My donations will be on hold until we get a new AD and I see how that goes.