Logo Change

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
rocki

Neckfansince71 wrote:In reality, the real reason is that no such agreement on paper could be found either by the Marine Corp or the university. Besides that, the individuals involved in the agreement if it were verbal are now long gone. End of story!!! I would like to draw your attention to the Marine Corp General who is currently number one in the nation's intelligence department. He happens to be a Western graduate and former football player! I don't see the universities involvement with the Marine Corp going away anytime soon. In fact, look for more cooperation and involvement in the near future. I mean, we do have one of the top 3 LEJA schools in the nation!!!

Hope to see some of you tomorrw at the Leatherneck Club reception at the Macomb Country Club, and on the fairways on Monday for the Leatherneck Golf Outing. ;) jc

Have to admit, I'll miss the insignia - it was cool. Keeping the "Leatherneck" team name is the major thing, though.

When did we muck stuff up and start sticking the bulldog in the middle of the globe? (Not complaining, just curious - I don't remember if it was that way back in the day or not. Mostly I remember the logo that used Sherman Hall's tower)
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote:In reality, the real reason is that no such agreement on paper could be found either by the Marine Corp or the university. Besides that, the individuals involved in the agreement if it were verbal are now long gone. End of story!!! I would like to draw your attention to the Marine Corp General who is currently number one in the nation's intelligence department. He happens to be a Western graduate and former football player! I don't see the universities involvement with the Marine Corp going away anytime soon. In fact, look for more cooperation and involvement in the near future. I mean, we do have one of the top 3 LEJA schools in the nation!!!

Hope to see some of you tomorrw at the Leatherneck Club reception at the Macomb Country Club, and on the fairways on Monday for the Leatherneck Golf Outing. ;) jc
That's good to hear, thanks for the clarification. I didn't really mean to sew seeds of confusion and doubt by bringing it up. Glad it's not that big of a deal overall.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

How much involvement with the USMC could we have possibly had for the last 45-50 years other than this recent search for some document which was never found. Our current ROTC program is Army. If you really want to strengthen the relationship with the USMC, then bring in an ROTC unit. The Navy/Marine Corps ROTC program offers a Nursing option which may very well be in line with the WIU Nursing program. Only other Illinois school offering it is the non-public Loyola (Chicago).

http://www.nrotc.navy.mil/nursing_only_schools.aspx
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

How much involvement with the USMC could we have possibly had for the last 45-50 years other than this recent search for some document which was never found. Our current ROTC program is Army. If you really want to strengthen the relationship with the USMC, then bring in an ROTC unit. The Navy/Marine Corps ROTC program offers a Nursing option which may very well be in line with the WIU Nursing program. Only other Illinois school offering it is the non-public Loyola (Chicago).

http://www.nrotc.navy.mil/nursing_only_schools.aspx

I agree with you completely. I always surprised me that athletics were Marines (Leathernecks) for ROTC was Army. Especially that the general WIU advertising is promoting Leathernecks more, and certainly Ashley Luke greets visitors from the billboards and at the QC airport, adding a Navy ROTC would be great. Plus, as you've noted, the nursing program would be a great connection with our new, but growing nursing program.
wiu712

Tere North wrote:Adding a Navy ROTC would be great.
Is it possible to have both an Army ROTC and a Navy/Marines ROTC ??
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:
Tere North wrote:Adding a Navy ROTC would be great.
SIU offers Army and Air Force. And they also have a pretty good aviation program which probably helps support those two.

Michigan has Army, Air Force, and Navy. They have a student enrollment of +40K so plenty of recruiting opportunity amongst that throng.

Military "units" always come with inherent rivalries with each trying to outdo the other in every endeavor. Separate squads of Army and Marine cadets stationed in appropriate sections of Western Hall could be interesting to behold if good numbers are there. For example, each could be a "roving" battalion always positioned at the end where the opponent has the ball. There, they just hound the crap out of the opposition. But it is all about the numbers. Recently, the Army has been closing down ROTC units which do not crank out at least 15 new officers every year. Not sure about the USMC.

I think a school has to brand itself as offering some unique opportunities to attract students. For us, we have a lot riding on that LEJA program that NFS71 mentioned. Could do more for sure if we have some money and momentum to use it wisely.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherface

Just a question- not trying to be a wise guy- I wonder what the placement rate for LEJA graduates is. In an actual law enforcement or directly associated position. It seems every college has a "popular program" of criminology(or whatever they might call it). Not knocking the WIU program, just wondering if there is reaching a point of saturation in that field.
leatherface

While talking about far-fetched ideas :)- I always wondered if WIU could set its rather large ROTC program up like Texas A&M. Have a Corps that is recognized but very visible as a different on campus living style. Active in the school, but with the military component. Seems that might actually attract some students interested in that experience- even if they drop after two years instead of completing the program for a commission of some type. Texas A&M attracts a lot of folks wanting that unique experience.

Just think of the visibility it could give WIU- seen marching in parades, presence at games as a full unit, becoming a unique experience only WESTERN might offer in the Midwest.
Tere North

wiu712 wrote:
Of the 12 public universities in Illinois, here's what I am aware of

No ROTC or only in conjunction with another school - Governor's State, UofI Springfield, and Northeastern

Only Army - Illinois State, Northern, Western, Eastern, SIU Edwardsville, UofI Chicago, Chicago State

Multiple ROTCs - SIU Carbondale with Army and Air Force; UoI Urbana/Champaign with Army, Air Force, and Navy

So if we added Navy ROTC, we would be only the 2nd among Illinois publics.
wiu51

The football team has a new facebook profile pic of a purple helmet with a block W.