Logo Change

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Apparently the university is no longer allowed to use the "Marine Sweep" logo anymore:

I don't know if that's a request from the USMC or something, and what that might mean for any other USMC connections ("Leathernecks" nickname, for example).
The logo is also used on the Athletics website as well as being featured on the 50 yard line of Hanson Field.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

I know "Rock" is rolling over about now.

I say leave all of the USMC sweeps in place on field and court and get our student-athletes doing a few thousand "burpees" right on top of the logos. Let 'em wear off gradually and make Rock proud.
Last edited by sealhall74 on Fri May 29, 2015 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherface

Is this from a reliable source? That would be disappointing to see happen. I can't remember the whole story, but Rock Hansen did get approval to use the name and logo many years ago. It is a unique brand that WESTERN has been using, and different than most schools. I would think "Leathernecks" is likely to be allowed, that isn't like the official USMC logo brand.

Hoping "Leathernecks" stays, can you imagine the contests and hassles of trying to get a new name?
Neckfansince71

This decision was arrived at mutually and has absolutely nothing to do with the "Leatherneck" nick name. ;) jc
sealhall74

So I guess we are no longer "tough as Leathernecks", now we are just plain old "Leathernecks". I agree with Alice:

"You have to stay true to your heritage; that's what your brand is about."
Alice Temperley
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote:This decision was arrived at mutually and has absolutely nothing to do with the "Leatherneck" nick name. ;) jc
That's good to hear, thanks for the update.
Do you know if they'll have to see about removing the logo from the field (and any other "physical" locations where it might be), or if that'll just be taken care of down the road next time we upgrade our turf?
letsgonecks

I'm actually fine with this move. I know it was worn with great pride and honor and was done with respect for the Marine Corp, but we're not service members. I know we've had previous armed service members suit up for WIU and believe we currently have or will have 2 that I know of, but like it better without the logo going forward.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote:I'm actually fine with this move. I know it was worn with great pride and honor and was done with respect for the Marine Corp, but we're not service members. I know we've had previous armed service members suit up for WIU and believe we currently have or will have 2 that I know of, but like it better without the logo going forward.
I agree with you. I don't really mind the change. I was just making sure/hoping that it wasn't a sign of a larger change where the USMC might be "distancing" itself from us...not letting us use any aspect of their organization. It doesn't appear that that is the case, so that's good.
WIU0812

Agreed, I do not mind the change nor do I see them ever having to change the leatherneck name because my understanding is that is what the bulldog breeds nickname was as well which is why they went with that logo of the bulldog. Could be wrong on this just what I heard. Everyone keeps talking about the football field, I am betting they can remove that paint and replace with new logo, but what about the new basketball court. That is stained into the wood would and have to be completely removed and replaced.
wiu712

Western began use of the Marine Corps’ official nickname, “The Fighting Leathernecks,” in 1927 when then-athletic director and head baseball, basketball, and football coach Ray “Rock” Hanson was granted permission by the U.S. Navy, based on his status as a Marine hero, to use the Marine’s official seal (the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor), and bulldog mascot along with their nickname.

I am assuming that the problem is our putting the bulldog head on the Globe. While we had permission to use the Insignia, we altered it by adding the bulldog.

The USMC Insignia does not have a bulldog on the Globe.

When did we start putting the bulldog on the Globe ??? I am thinking that this has been a recent development.