New assistant coach

meganeck

WIU will be needing a new assistant coach as Kierra McCleary left for Northern Illinois
wiu712

A "Help Wanted" posting for this position was in today's Macomb newspaper.
Tere North

Also listed on WIU website, reqs D1 or D2 playing or coaching experience and an BA/BS, with a master's preferred.
sealhall74

I like that one requirement "Experience with graphic design". That's one you don't see too often for an assistant coach. I am more accustomed to the one "Must keep head coach's clipboard handy during all timeouts". :D
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:I like that one requirement "Experience with graphic design". That's one you don't see too often for an assistant coach. I am more accustomed to the one "Must keep head coach's clipboard handy during all timeouts". :D
Well, there's very soon going to be two fewer graphic designers on campus, so they're probably hoping they can get someone who can help out with the team and with some of the publicity materials.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote:I like that one requirement "Experience with graphic design". That's one you don't see too often for an assistant coach. I am more accustomed to the one "Must keep head coach's clipboard handy during all timeouts". :D
I completely missed that one sealhall74. Hmmmmm.
wiu712

Here's the Job Posting:

RESPONSIBILITIES: The Assistant Women's Basketball Coach is responsible for all aspects related to assisting the head coach with conducting practices and games, working on individual player development, supervising pre-season and conditioning programs, assisting with recruiting and contacting prospective student-athletes and promoting and maintaining positive public relations. Successful candidate must be committed to the academic success of student-athletes and be committed to their personal growth and social development. Successful candidate must be fully committed to all NCAA, The Summit League, and Western Illinois University Athletics Department policies and procedures.

RANK & SALARY: Western Illinois University offers a competitive benefits package including domestic partner benefits. For full benefit information visit: http://www.wiu.edu/vpas/human_resources/benefits/

REQUIRED: Bachelor's Degree; NCAA DI or DII coaching or playing experience; Proven leadership ability; Experience with graphic design and/or familiarity with video editing; Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, student-athletes and potential recruits; Excellent communication skills.

PREFERRED: Master's Degree
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:
Well, there's very soon going to be two fewer graphic designers on campus, so they're probably hoping they can get someone who can help out with the team and with some of the publicity materials.
Cranking out general-purpose publicity materials for the university/department? I think that would fall under "collateral duties" for sure. I was thinking something slightly different: JD has been secretly working on some new and very intricate gadget plays for the upcoming season and needs someone to incorporate them into the training video for the gals.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Cranking out general-purpose publicity materials for the university/department? I think that would fall under "collateral duties" for sure. I was thinking something slightly different: JD has been secretly working on some new and very intricate gadget plays for the upcoming season and needs someone to incorporate them into the training video for the gals.
That's probably significantly more likely than my first thought. Now that I see the whole job posting, the "and/or familiarity with video editing" makes a lot of sense. Diagramming plays, cutting together game tape...all much more likely jobs for an assistant coach.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

WIU did hire a new assistant coach - she played at Missouri and played overseas last year. Doesn't sound like she has any previous coaching experience.