University of North Dakota's new nickname

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
sealhall74

Today's nickname trivia question: What Illinois university has a nickname of a feline with a Mexican-Spanish equivalent nickname of el tigre.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Today's nickname trivia question: What Illinois university has a nickname of a feline with a Mexican-Spanish equivalent nickname of el tigre.
Lots of cat nicknames in the state, but I had to go look this one up to figure it out.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherface

Was kind of hoping North Dakota would go with Roughriders. I remember a high school in our conference- Roosevelt Military Academy- was called the Roughriders. It was unique, and they could put out some good cheers for an all male high school. The school no longer exists. I still remember their one cheer, where they would repeat-"Riders,Riders" throughout the game. It actually brought a spark to us. ( our cheer leaders were rather subdued).
wiu712

Olivet-Nazarene University in Bourbonnais has the team of "Tigers". The Chicago Bears have their summer training camp there.

Regarding UND joining the Summit & MVFC:

The Summit was just a temporary "landing spot" for Denver. Their long-time commitment is not known.

Youngstown State has been exploring conference affiliations in the eastern time zone.

But if the Summit and the MVFC were to get to 12 teams, they would be able to form two six-team divisions and have a championship game.
leatherface

I remember very well when Pekin HS was called the "Chinks".
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:Olivet-Nazarene University in Bourbonnais has the team of "Tigers". The Chicago Bears have their summer training camp there.
I am disappointed in you, 712. I will give you another clue. Does Marlin Perkins ring a bell?
wiu712

Marlin Perkins had a famous tv show: "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom". And he was also the former Director of the St Louis Zoo.

Just noticed that Northern Illinois had 10,194 for their home game with Western Michigan. NIU is now 8-3. This game was on ESPN2.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:
wiu712 wrote:Olivet-Nazarene University in Bourbonnais has the team of "Tigers". The Chicago Bears have their summer training camp there.
I am disappointed in you, 712. I will give you another clue. Does Marlin Perkins ring a bell?
Olivet-Nazarene was the only one I found with the nickname "Tigers": http://www.onutigers.com/
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

So, which university is it (since it seems none of us are able to find it)?
sealhall74

rocki wrote:So, which university is it (since it seems none of us are able to find it)?
That Marlin Perkins clue should have given it away.

[youtube][/youtube]

http://www.spanishdict.com/translate/tigre

Governors State University Jaguars

http://www.govst.edu/JaguarNation/