WIU - Week 5

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Unfortunately didn't get around to posting a Women's Basketball Week 5 post. Being sick + football coaching drama made focusing difficult.

On Tuesday, the women went up to North Dakota and lost 78-67. Today, they played a very good U of I Chicago team. They were right with them, being up by 2 with just under 2 minutes left. A 5 point run over the next minute forced Western to start fouling on every possession, but UIC made enough of them to come away with a 78-70 victory. Higgenbotham led the team with 17 points and 6 rebounds in the game. Reichelt led the team in rebounds with 10 (and 7 points). Western is now 6-5 on the season.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Long-time Western fans will remember UIC coach Regina Miller.

She was the head coach at Western for six seasons (1992-1998). This was her first head coaching position.

In just her second season at Western (1993-94), Miller's team finished third in the Mid-Continent Conference, after finishing in ninth place the previous season. For her efforts, Miller was named the Mid-Con Coach of the Year.

The following season (1994-95), Western set a school record for wins in a season (17) and conference victories (14) and captured Western's first-ever Mid-Con tournament title and a trip to the NCAA Tournament!

Miller left Western after the 1998 season and went to UNLV. Miller's departure here opened the door for Lesley Crane.

Attendance at Western Hall was 551.
meganeck

It was Miller's first trip back to Macomb since she left also. It looks like she has UIC heading in the right direction.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Oh wow...I didn't realize it was her. Miller was the coach when I first started at Western (and in the Pep Band).

I was pretty lucky in terms of the coaches we had when I was here...Miller running Women's Basketball, Jim Kerwin having success with Men's BBall (and we would have made the tournament too if it weren't for those darn Valpo Crusaders), and Randy Ball dominating the conference with Football.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

They had 17 fouls to our 15 and we had 6 in last 1:10 of game. Coach Mo's teams were always highly ranked nationally when it came to least team fouls but if I am coach, this is one stat I would hate to be good at. Got to play physical in DI and that means fouls.
Embrace the pace of the race.