WIU - Week 6 & 7

sealhall74

This one will hurt the Summit League RPI. 77-70 Cougars
Embrace the pace of the race.
Necks2003

Losing to the worst team in the country is beyond embarrasing.
wiu712

Radio broadcaster Scott Kornberg summed it up well: This is a game that we let slip away.

Garret Covington led the Western scoring with 21. J.C. Fuller had 17.

Western was 0-12 on three pointers in the second half after going 11 for 18 in the first half.

Big free throw differential. Western shot 9 (made 7). Chicago State shot 29 (made 21).

Attendance at Chicago State was 1,788.

High School basketball fans will need to tune in to WGEM-NBC tonight for the live telecast of the QHS vs QND boy's basketball game. Telecast starts at 7PM (Central) for the pre-game. Game will start at 7:30PM. This will be their first meeting in 7 years. This game will be played at The Pit at QND.

Game will also be streamed live here:
http://www.wgem.com/Global/story.asp?S=13020556

Broadcasting students from Western will be doing the technical production. The announcers will be from WGEM and the Quincy Herald-Whig.
sealhall74

You don't suppose our poor shooting in 2nd half had anything to do with Fuller, Covington, and Sandifer pulling extra duty with 38+ minutes do you?

I certainly do. Especially on the road, you need your rest breaks.
Neckfansince71

Chicago State pressed a majority of the game, not necessarily a hard aggressive press, but still a press. The intensity of this press increased as the game went on along with a half court trap that created some quick WIU shots or put the ball in the wrong person's hands. Your right about fatigue! JC missed some tired shots at the end including an air ball that did not hit anything. G forced some shots at the end too. A key to the game was Chapman's charge on the drive between two Cougars. First of all the call was poor but in retrospect, Jabari gave him the ball on a break which put him in a tough spot for a big man. Not criticism, just observation. I think Coach Wright would agree. WIU was bigger, but CSU was quicker on the inside, which is why there was such a difference in fouls and free throws. The game was officiated by 3 misfits! There was a happy birthday sign held by three young ladies for one of the refs. In a way I think we may have gotten homered, the lack of calls at our end and the number at there end ended up in a lot of frustration for our long and lankys.

The CSU arena is nice but I still think they have no idea how to run an event with class. Obviously not a whole lot of people follow CSU. 1788? Not even close! I would say 600-700 at the most. 300-350 Leatherneck fans, and 300 - 350 Chicago State fans. I will entertain ?'s. ;) jc
cubsflag

the disrespect for chicago st.--lol--anyone that knows there basketball and knows these teams would know it was going to go down to the wire.chicago st just shot lights out.they were 10 for 20 from three point line and wiu was 11 for 30.and because chicago st drove to basket more and shot less 3 s they got to free throw line more.as far as rotation i thought it was great that mike got minutes and played well but i think big kids have to see more minutes.no reason 3 guys should play 38 minutes.and it showed in the end.
Neckfansince71

Dalan Ancrum was on crutches and did not dress. He has got some quicks and definite ability and may have helped out as far as time on the floor goes. Bruster is the heir apparent at the point when Jabari graduates but definitely needs more seasoning. He has ability too but made a couple of mistakes including giving up a steal for a layup at one point. I had a point guard who showed great promise too. He made some young mistakes early in the season which you expect out of a junior in high school. Everytime he came out I had him sit right next to one of my lower level coaches who was in-charge of game time instruction and tutoring. Batish got in for a couple too but did not play in the 2nd half. This is like trying to solve a puzzel and I am sure Wright and staff will figure it out. My wife said that our team and staff look the part of a D1 program. I am looking forward to seeing them meet the challenge of Loyola tomorrow night! ;) jc
JoeWx21

I said after the EIU game that the inside scoring is something coach Wright needed to address before summit play. It is pathetic that the team's 3 point shooting is better then it's 2 point shooting. It's nice to see a team with height, but absolutely no power inside (especially with Chapman and Gilbeck). All that height and size and they play soft (Yes, I'm calling the bigs out and the coaching staff especially that coach who played at Wisconsin).

They better figure out this problem or it will be a long game against Loyola and the conference season.
sealhall74

We might be only team in country with two of top 3 rebounders (rebounds/game) coming from the #1 and #2 spots (Fuller and Sandifer). I do like the way Tate has picked up his intensity level of late. Other bigs need to follow his lead.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Had a dream last night where I was going to check Leatherneck Nation for some stuff (is it bad that even in my dreams I'm checking the site for posts?).

Anyway, in my dream, I noticed on the front page that it showed us as beating Loyola. Checked the score on ESPN and it listed it as us winning 68-62. I hope I'm right...although if it's exactly that score, I'm going to be kinda freaked out.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000