Spring "Training" and Practices

vatusay

Not taking a thing from Donaldson he was a great back for western, but stecker was on another level.

I really enjoyed watching glasford run also.
#ALLIN #YOLO
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:Do they usually bring in refs to do some live officiating during spring practices? I didn't realize that was a thing.

[tweet]716036685306286080[/tweet]
We need to slap a "Rocky-inspired" mural on that khaki-colored building on the other side of Murray. We have the talent. We can do this!

[tweet]716995578706726913[/tweet]

I just dropped my pledge donation (a bit overdue) in the mail today. Now that I think about it, I should redirect it from the Math Dept to Art Dept.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Leatherneck57

I had a couple of great days on campus in Macomb meeting with coaches and had the pleasure of attending practice this morning. Coach Fisher introduced me to the team and allowed me to speak to them and my message was simple...

I explained to them that playing football at Western Illinois and playing on Hanson Field were some of the best times of my life and that playing college football was a privilege and one they all earned. I asked them to stay involved with their program and give back after graduation so our younger Leathernecks have a great experience and our program continues to grow and remain strong! I told them how proud I was to watch them perform and compete and their enthusiasm and hustle was great to see but more importantly they are a good football team!

I talked about plans for football alumni weekend and mentioned how many former players were coming back and that this staff and team had the full support from former players, boosters and the community and they should feel good about that. So many came up to me after my talk, shook my hand and thanked me for getting these guys back to support them! We have a special group of kids that represent our university.

We have so many former Leatherneck greats coming back including many that signed pro contracts dating back to the 50's and played in the NFL. Among those are Frank Winters, Rich Seubert, Jason Williams, Herb Donaldson, John Passananti, Gary Birch, Bill Miller, Criag Phalen, Jerry Bey, Scott Mielke, Mark Jehn and the list goes on! Jason and Rich will be Honorary Coaches and will be good to see those guys on the sidelines again.

Coach Fisher has done a great job getting these players to donate signed helmets, jersey's etc for the silent and and live auction. We have former players donating all sorts of things like 2 weeks at a beach front property in South Padre Island, TX, golf packages and professional sporting events in Chicago and much more!

We have a special intro planned prior to the start of the spring game that will include a ceremonial handshake on Hanson Field with former players and the current team and coaching staff. We will also take a group picture at halftime at midfield...should be a touching experience. New traditions are starting and you'll want to be a part of it.

On a recruiting note...we just signed a graduate student from Lafayette University in Pennsylvania that has a year of eligibility left...he plays defefensive tackle and goes 6'1 285 and will give us some much needed depth at that position. We had 30 recruits on campus the 1st of April and on Friday April 15th we have another 45-50 recruits coming plus a couple more potential D1 transfers from big programs that could be huge pickups for us at a couple of key positions we need help with and they both have a couple of years of eligibility. Stay tuned!!

It's a Great Day to be a Leatherneck!!

Leatherneck 57
huskie

Thanks for the update Leatherneck 57. Can't wait for April 22.
BobLovely

Thank you for the full report and "insider information" LN57! We hired the right coach...

Bob
letsgonecks

Thanks Brian for sharing and stepping up big-time for this program. Getting more people involved not only helps the football program, but can help the university. One that we all love, but needs support now more than ever.

Thanks again 57!!!!!!
letsgonecks

Any updates on position changes? Looks like Trev Hadachek may have moved to DB. I would too, that depth chart is deep and guys like Gaston and Mediris might be future studs getting some snaps.

Are Slamans and Breedlove looking to fill the FB role when needed. We know Saunders can do it when called apon. By the way I think he's going to be very special the next 3 years. Went back and watched his SR highlights and the things he did on offense were amazing, looking like Bettis. That athletic ability mixed with the added strength, experience and knowledge are going to make him a beast at DT.

I watch and re-watch the videos to see who's playing with what group. Anyone seeing certain people getting more snaps with what looks to be the first team unit? QB, RB, RG, DE, DT and outside LB.
Last edited by letsgonecks on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
letsgonecks

Here's who Brian was talking about. Looks like he played only 3 games last year, but vast experience and solid play prior.

https://twitter.com/mercteam95

http://www.goleopards.com/sports/m-foot ... 93714.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfgTOCioLfI
rocki

Thanks, 57. I've been watching the videos that are put up after practice, but it's nice to hear from someone who was there to interact with the team. Spirits and optimism are high here, I know that!!!

I am so glad we got a coach who is reaching out to former fb players. We all love Western, but no doubt those who played for the purple and gold have an even deeper attachment. It's hard to fathom that they weren't included before, know what I mean?

Can't wait for the spring game - this coaching staff and team sound like they're giving their all to Leatherneck football. None too soon for any of us, I'm sure!!! ;) LET'S GO 'NECKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yokedneck

letsgonecks wrote:I watch and re-watch the videos to see who's playing with what group. Anyone seeing certain people getting more snaps with what looks to be the first team unit? QB, RB, RG, DE, DT and outside LB.
These are the 1st and 2nd groups taking the bulk of the scrimmage snaps on the OL. It should be noted we have three OL who played significant minutes last year currently sidelined for various reasons. Guys are burning thru practice jerseys so numbers do not necessarily match online roster. They should have everyone healthy going into summer and fall.

1st unit
LT 55 Josh Baldus Jr.
LG 77 James Torgerson Jr.
OC 66 Jacob Judd Jr.
RG 60 Andrew Nichols Sr.
RT 74 Nicholas Kaltmayer So.

2nd unit
LT 60 Andrew Nichols Sr.
LG 78 Chris Zobrist R-Fr.
OC 56 Nathan Oquendo Jr.
RG 61 Thomas Kirsch So.
RT 79 Nick Ziegenbein Sr.