Summit League Tournament

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

The women's tournament has again come down to USD and SDSU, just like in 2013 and 2015. They will play their championship game at 1 PM and it'll be aired on ESPNU and WatchESPN.com.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

This is a question for Seal Hall:

Was Western the only team without a Pep Band ????

I know that Oral Roberts had hired local musicians to play at their games. This is something that Chicago State also did when they were in the Mid-Con.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:This is a question for Seal Hall:

I know that Oral Roberts had hired local musicians to play at their games. This is something that Chicago State also did when they were in the Mid-Con.[/quot
wiu712 wrote:This is a question for Seal Hall:

I know that Oral Roberts had hired local musicians to play at their games. This is something that Chicago State also did when they were in the Mid-Con.
Yes, we were the only one. ORU was very good with only 12 or so guys but some were pro musicians who live in the area. Most teams did not bring dance squads either. All brought cheer team.

Pne thing I would consider very seriosly as commish would be quarterfinals at campus sites on a Wednesday. All semis here on Saturday and finals on Sunday. Both days we be total sellouts I think and non-Dakota teams wouls show up better.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:One thing I would consider very seriosly as commish would be quarterfinals at campus sites on a Wednesday. All semis here on Saturday and finals on Sunday. Both days we be total sellouts I think and non-Dakota teams wouls show up better.
The Mid-Con used a format like this for at least one year. I can remember going to a Mid-Con tournament game at Western Hall some time back in the 90's.

That format also would reward the top four seeds with a home game. And it would also prevent a #8 having the home crowd advantage over a #1. We had that happen this year with #8 South Dakota vs #1 IPFW in a Men's Quarter-final.

Moving the Women's championship game away from a Tuesday afternoon would be another plus.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:
sealhall74 wrote:One thing I would consider very seriosly as commish would be quarterfinals at campus sites on a Wednesday. All semis here on Saturday and finals on Sunday. Both days we be total sellouts I think and non-Dakota teams wouls show up better.
The Mid-Con used a format like this for at least one year. I can remember going to a Mid-Con tournament game at Western Hall some time back in the 90's.

That format also would reward the top four seeds with a home game. And it would also prevent a #8 having the home crowd advantage over a #1. We had that happen this year with #8 South Dakota vs #1 IPFW in a Men's Quarter-final.

Moving the Women's championship game away from a Tuesday afternoon would be another plus.
Here's the history of the men's conference tournament (according to their records)...starts on page 8: http://static.psbin.com/f/m/jfnhrgkdin0 ... istory.pdf
Looks like in 1985 the first two rounds were hosted at the higher seed's home courts, so we (#2) defeated #7 Valpo in the first round, then lost to #3 Eastern...at Western Hall.
You must be remembering 1995, which says that Quarters and Semis were at the higher seeds. Western was #2, had a bye the first round, but played (and beat) #3 Buffalo, which would have been at Western Hall. The championship game at Valparaiso, was us (#2) against #1 Valpo, in a game that we lost by 3 points in 3 OTs (so, you gotta figure that we would likely have won if it was a neutral court).
Conference tournament the next few years after that was at Moline, and everything since then has been further away.

Anyway, SDSU wins against USD for another trip to the NCAA tournament. Close game most of the way through, but they pulled away a bit at the end. Bunnies win 61-55.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Tom Douple was just in front of me at concession stand and I can verify that he is partial to chislic so maybe next time he comes to Macomb, we can bribe him with some of it to make some changes to tournament format.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chislic

I tried it, and it was OK not great, just OK. I never heard of it until today.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote:You must be remembering 1995, which says that Quarters and Semis were at the higher seeds. Western was #2, had a bye the first round, but played (and beat) #3 Buffalo, which would have been at Western Hall. The championship game at Valparaiso, was us (#2) against #1 Valpo, in a game that we lost by 3 points in 3 OTs (so, you gotta figure that we would likely have won if it was a neutral court).
Yes, that sounds like it was in 1995. I can remember that we won the game at Western Hall and then played the next game at Valpo for the championship.
wiu712

Attendance at the Women's Championship game was 8,647. This set a record for a Women's Summit League Championship game.

About two-thirds of the crowd were South Dakota State fans.
ibleedpurpleandgold

i was just told by a coaches spouse that we will bea participating in a postseason tourny has anyone heard this