Post game recap Western@Southern Illinois

WIU0812

That description of Tyler Yelk may be part of the issue with the special teams. There is a lot more to special teams than what can be handled by a defensive coordinator who already has his hands full. Special teams should always have its own coach in DI football. You can probably get by at lower divisions or in high school, but not at this caliber level. Special teams is not the largest issue though it is the lack of ability to stay with teams through 4 quarters. I am not sure what is going on there, but I would expect a lot of running this week for the team.
sealhall74

WIU0812 wrote:That description of Tyler Yelk may be part of the issue with the special teams. There is a lot more to special teams than what can be handled by a defensive coordinator who already has his hands full. Special teams should always have its own coach in DI football. You can probably get by at lower divisions or in high school, but not at this caliber level. Special teams is not the largest issue though it is the lack of ability to stay with teams through 4 quarters. I am not sure what is going on there, but I would expect a lot of running this week for the team.
I was thinking same thing yesterday so what did I do? I hopped on over to my exemplary program (Nebraska) to see how they do things. Interestingly, they do not have a single coach listed with the Special Teams Coordinator role. I tend to agree with that approach. It should be done by committee as you are basically stealing guys from the offense and defense to make it work. The guys requiring "special" attention (punter, kicker, and snapper) know how to do what they do because of camps and lots of reps. No coach is going to help them too much IMO. That said, after watching some game film closely, I think our QB shotgun snap issue might have to do with center's head going up, looking left/right, causing his butt to go down. It does seem to be rather erratic and that would be a simple correction a coach could surely make.

http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml ... 22&SPSID=2
Embrace the pace of the race.
Keyser Soze

For those on this Board calling for Coach Nielson’s head I would suggest you do what Roger Goodell didn’t, and that is give you self a season long suspension from posting anymore and impose an appropriate fine which you can designate to the Leatherneck Club Athletic Fund. After just 18 months from taking over a program that could be described as beleaguered at best this Staff is still cleaning house and bringing in its own players. They are the youngest team in the toughest FCS conference in America. They play three good halves versus two Big Ten teams (including a top 20 Team with a Heisman candidate) and go into a night game with the fourth largest crowed in SIUC history against a team ranked 16th in the nation and you are calling for this staff to be taken to the gallows to be executed. I am not sure if your posts are more myopic or obtuse.

It reeks of the kind of backwoods, red neck comments one would hear on a Monday morning in the SEC. By the way, in case you hadn’t noticed the all-powerful MVC has not reached the meteoric heights of the SEC yet. This staff inherited an empty cupboard and has some really good young talent starting to trickle through the system. Additionally, they inherited one of the worst, if not the worst facilities situations in the conference. Other than that albatross hanging around their neck, this was a “turn key” operation to take over.

Young kids are going to make mistakes and that is certainly happening but to decry that this guy can’t coach at this level is the most asinine thing I have ever heard on this board----and that is truly saying something. Maybe we can exhume the body of Rock Hanson and bring him back or, at the very least, project a 3D image of him on the new video board for proper motivation. Restoring the glory through the zombie coaching apocalypse. Let’s bring back Bear Bryant too---bet we can get him for the right price.

Not sure what you all thought this guy was going to do. I hear at halftime he does a great show where he turns Gatorade into wine. Hell, it was a miracle he could squeak out four wins last year with the talent he inherited from starting as late as he did in the recruiting season when initially hired. This job was an “over haul” when he took it not a “tune up”. Any Head Coach or AD in this conference would tell you he is a very legitimate head coach. Now if he just had a fan base that had any reasonable understanding of the realities of football at this level. This Board should create the annual “Darwin Award Posts” so we can recognize the worst of the intellectual (and I hesitate to use that word) sewage that flows on through this forum. It really is embarrassing how imbecilic and vapid some of these posts are getting. Somewhere this morning a village is missing their idiots. Go Necks!!! Happy Homecoming!!!
KippJones

Keyser Soze... two posts, two absolute BOMBS out of the park, HOME-RUN! Well said sir, and thank you!
rocki

If I'm one of the rednecks, I apologize. It was not my intention to blame the coach. :?

With that said, nice to meet you Keyser.
WIU0812

Keyser, that was unbelievably awesome and so very true. I was a little shocked when I got back from my vacation and saw all the posts about removing coaches and what not. It is easy to think that things will change immediately it is hard to wait for true change. Look at the Chicago Cubs and their overhaul which may just now being at a turning point after, I think, 3 years of building.

I also think there has been competition with all of the new players and the ones who are starting are not just starting because they are older, but because as of the start of season they were the best choices. Obviously our new QB they wanted to redshirt, and I am sure a few others were this way, but they will use them if needed and if they show any hint of giving us enough of an edge to win more games.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yea, you gotta remember...this is Coach N's second season, and his first with a full recruiting season (he was hired kinda late in the recruiting season...still did well with the time he had available).
And he was tasked with turning this:

Into this:

He was signed to a 5 year contract, initially, because they realized that it's going to take longer than 2 years to turn this back into a consistently winning program.

Add to that the fact that we're competing in a conference that in just about any year is one of the best in the FCS, but this year, is one of the best of the non-P5 conferences (ACC, B1G, B12, SEC, P12) in all of Div. I. According to the Massey Ratings, we are better than all but the P5s (as in, better than the Mountain West, Conference USA, MAC, Sun Belt, etc.).
The conference is 23-1 against FCS opponents (the one loss...MVFC "bottom-feeder" South Dakota losing 28-20 at top-10 ranked Montana...one of the toughest places to play in the FCS).
The conference has two wins over FBS teams (including another lower ranked MVFC team, Indiana State, defeating Ball State).

So, turning the team around was going to take a few years anyway, but doing it in the environment we are in is going to be especially difficult. I know it's hard to see the team you love lose, but I think we need to be patient and give the coaches a bit more time to really see what they are capable of doing.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
DADfan

Well said KS..........
SunDevilLawyer

The mistakes i.e. bad snaps and what not need to be eliminated that is the result of coaching. ALSO AM I THE ONLY PERSON THAT SEES OUR OFFENSE AS RIDICULOUSLY PREDICTABLE!!!! NTM BAKER AND MORALES ARE INCREDIBLE PLAYMAKERS AND NEITHER ARE GETTING THE BALL. Good caches find a way to use every ounce of talent on their team, This coaching staff is no where near that.

Not to mention, our special teams was disgusting last year and we did NOTHING to change that, that is the reason why we can outgain Northwestern and STILL GET SMASHED. The avg starting position of the opposing team is nearly midfield! This makes are defense and offense look much worse than they are!
Neckfansince71

Keyser Soze! Very insightful and right on! There is no magic cure for what WIU is suffering from at the moment except for hardworking and consistency! jc