PJ Star....WIU get's physical

Western_101

Nice write up today in the Peoria Journal Star about Leathernecks by Kevin Capie:

http://www.pjstar.com/article/20150807/ ... 131/SPORTS
WIU improves size and depth in preparation for rigors of MVFC
emailprintCOMMENT0 0
Western Illinois football coach Bob Nielson
Zoom
WIU sports informationWestern Illinois football coach Bob Nielson
Kevin Capie
Journal Star sports reporter

Posted Aug. 7, 2015 at 7:11 PM

MACOMB — The Missouri Valley Football Conference has a reputation for being a rugged, physical league. To that end, Western Illinois dived right in as it began its preseason camp this week.
“It was probably the two most physical days without pads since I’ve been here,” junior offensive lineman Matt Zobrist said Friday at the team’s media day, which preceded the first padded practice of the season.
“Being able to put the pads back on, it’s going to get real physical now.”
The Leathernecks enter camp with positions wide open. They lost leading rusher J.C. Baker and four letter winners from their linebacking corps, but the roster has ample depth and some experienced players.
“We have a few question marks to be resolved,” WIU coach Bob Nielson said. “Our goal is to stay ahead in the preparation, which we’ll be able to do with situational work based on the experience of our guys and not as much time on installation as in previous years.”
The depth is especially apparent on an offensive line that Nielson admits was undersized in his first two seasons. Now, 13 of the 16 offensive lineman on the roster are 285 pounds or heavier, topped out by 6-foot-9, 330-pounder Nick Ziegenbein.
“When I took the job I looked at our offensive line group and didn’t think we had enough Division I bodies,” Nielson said. “Now if you stand with our offensive line group that’s a significantly different looking group than it was a couple of years ago. That’s what you have to have to be able to move the football.”
The Leathernecks went 5-7 last year with losses to North Dakota State and Illinois State by a combined 10 points. Those teams played for the national championship and begin the year ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the nation.
“It hurt watching it,” junior wide receiver Lance Lenoir said of the FCS title game. “It made us motivated to get better in the spring and summer.”
‘Neck notes: Single-game tickets go on-sale Monday at goleathernecks.com. … Athletics director Matt Tanney said Western signed a new five-year contract with adidas to be the official provider of all Leatherneck apparel. … Senior RB Nikko Watson has returned to the team after missing last season.
Kevin Capie can be reached at 686-3214 or kcapie@pjstar.com. Follow him on Twitter @KevinCapie.