Question about athletic scholarships and stuff

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Had a question for people that are more "in the know" than I am about this stuff.

We've had a few athletes that played at Western in the past that have had parents who worked at the university (some as coaches of the team their kid was playing for...Billy Molinari, Andy Ball...to name a couple).
My question is, with the state's 1/2 tuition waiver for children of employees who have worked at the university for a certain length of time, how does that factor into the "math" with regards to athletic scholarships.

Are they just not allowed to take the 1/2 tuition waiver?
Do they take the 1/2 tuition waiver and can have 1/2 of a scholarship pay for the other half?
Or can they take the 1/2 tuition waiver, but then they have to pay the other 1/2 themselves (like a non-scholarship walk-on...but with built-in 1/2 tuition cost)?
It would seem like a bit of an unfair advantage for a team being able to have a coach's kid play for a team and go to school for free, but not have half of that "scholarship" count against the NCAA's limit of total scholarships.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

As I understand it, you cannot divide scholarships for headcount sports. Head count scholarship sports are Football (DI FBS only), Basketball (DI men’s and women’s), Tennis (DI women only), Gymnastics (DI women only) and Volleyball (DI women only). ANY AID other than federal or state NEED-BASED aid is going to count as athletic scholarship dollars. Only other exception is freshmen with outstanding HS academic credentials may acquire an academic scholarship which would not count against scholarship limit count.
Embrace the pace of the race.