Commissioner's Cup

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
Neckfansince71

So what was cut for 320K? Not sure what there total budget for athletics is but that is a significant amount of coin! ;) jc
sealhall74

When you don't replace your FB defensive coordinator or go interim rather than opening up a nationwide AD search, you are already making substantial cuts within Athletic Department.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote:When you ... go interim rather than opening up a nationwide AD search, you are already making substantial cuts within Athletic Department.
Western going interim, and then making that permanent from an in-house selection has become standard operating procedure. DeWees became VP Administrative Services after an interim period and then no competition. Beirman was appointed to replace DeWees and Budget Director and will be interim VP to replace DeWees higher up the chain. Within 6 months, I imagine that will be permanent. Same thing has happened in the VP Academic Affairs (Provost) area. Expect Taney to become official AD before 2016 is over. Just how Western is doing business. Yes, saves money, and keeps moving in same direction, but hiring from within can stagnate new idea generation. Next new blood likely a new President, but that too, may come from within (think QC).
wiu712

The $320,000 reduction in the Eastern Illinois Athletics budget is a 20% cut.

Eastern Illinois University President David Glassman also changed the University's organizational chart so that the Athletics Department can now report to him directly rather than Student Affairs.
wiu712

Eastern Illinois University President David M. Glassman spoke about the Athletics budget during his "State of the University" Address on September 28, 2015:

"There is one final area of EIU’s budget that I wish to provide some clarity. The intercollegiate athletic budget is funded through numerous individual sources, including tuition waivers, donations, sponsorships, revenue generated from ticket and other sales, NCAA funding, paid-for games, student fees and appropriated funds. Of these sources, the last two – student fees and appropriated funding -- have been most scrutinized and occasionally criticized by various members of the campus community.

From the university’s appropriated and tuition revenue (of about $90 million), intercollegiate athletics received $1.6 million or 1.8 percent of dollars generated from these sources this past year. This is down from $1.9 million a few years ago. In response to budget adjustments and the sharing of the financial burden across all divisions, I further cut the athletic appropriated and tuition funding an additional 20 percent or $320 thousand (down to a total of $1.28 million).

Last year, the student athletic fee was increased by $4.36 per credit hour. The increase was to assist intercollegiate athletics in meeting its expenses – an action that has become ever challenging with the steady decline in student enrollments resulting in significantly less fee revenue generation. The fee had not been adjusted in seven years. It reached a point for the last three years that without an increase in athletic fees or appropriated funding, intercollegiate athletics ran annual deficits varying between about $300,000 to slightly less than $1 million. These deficits were covered, as were other deficit spending by the university, by university reserves. With the new student fee rate in place, and although having to deal with a reduction in their appropriated funding, intercollegiate athletics has been charged with maintaining a balanced budget.

I have had many thoughtful discussions with Tom Michael, our athletic director, and we are in agreement of the importance of intercollegiate athletics as part of Eastern’s student university experience. We also agree there is the need for strict fiscal responsibility and accountability by his division, which includes assessing the array and number of sports teams supported by the university and taking appropriate actions as deemed warranted. Today, I will be transitioning the reporting line of intercollegiate athletics from the Office of Student Affairs to the Office of the President for my direct supervision."
Neckfansince71

You know, the Commissioner's Cup is an all sports competition that in reality takes the emphasis for success in a major sport like Basketball and spreads it equally around to the other sponsored sports in the Summit. To be honest, I really keep track of the so called "other sports" and see some definite success coming in the near future. Men's golf and Men's Swimming and Diving are making some major moves. Baseball and Softball are, according to my crystal ball, about to once again make there presence known in the Summit. This fall Women's tennis showed a renewed competitive edge and after a total over-haul of the Volleyball program and and the hiring of a very good coach, positive changes are on the horizon. Track and Cross Country still have along way to go and not really sure at this point about Men's tennis or Women's golf. We also know that things are a changing for Women's soccer, although the Men's soccer team is always competitive in a very tough conference. This weeks list of letters of intent show WIU is still able to attract good athletes. So no matter the "political climate" I think Leathernecknation is moving forward. Honestly, staying competitive in most sports and truly competing for the NCAA tournament in Men's or Women's Basketball and/or FCS football, will keep this old Leatherneck fan happy for years to come. ;) jc

ps. This is totally just my personal opinion and is not based on anything else in regards to my role in the Leatherneck Club!
LocalFan

Heard today that the AD position has been posted internally.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

LocalFan wrote:Heard today that the AD position has been posted internally.
I can confirm that. Looks like the plan is to hire Tanney as the official AD (removing the "interim" bit). Personally, I'm fine with that. Seems like he's got some good ideas, both ones that he gathered from the previous AD and ones he's got up and rolling himself. Plus, we don't really have the money to be conducting nationwide searches at this point if we can help it.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000