GDT @ Cleveland State

JoeWx21

With the exception of Pacific and Greenville every team had played the same double-team defense. Every team has gone to the full court pressure defense.

How could a coach not have 2 or 3 plays to break the press?

I have said it all year, if you don't run your offense to the inside it makes it easier for the defense.

Just look at this game, Akron, W & M and UIC.
sealhall74

I don't recall seeing the double team "in your face" defense like these guys are doing. Looks like they went to a straight man defense now.

If we get within 10 or 12 we will see it again. LOL
Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

18 fouls for WIU and 8 for CSU so far in the game.
meganeck

WIU not getting many stops on defense and on offense, they pretty much are 1 and done
sealhall74

Lamont Simpson officiating the game. Had a very nice chat with him in Sioux Falls airport last march. He loves doing the Summit League tournament.
sealhall74

So you bring in some subs with enough time to let the other team walk off the final seconds. Not sure what to think about that. Reynold needs some minutes IMO.
SAMWIU99

I know that the whole team has a lot to work on, but is there anything that Stensgard does well? With just about anyone else I can at least see flashes of raw skills that still need work, but I haven't seen anything from Stensgard that justifies the amount of minutes he gets. I'd much rather see Chapman play the majority of time.
sealhall74

SAMWIU99 wrote:I know that the whole team has a lot to work on, but is there anything that Stensgard does well? With just about anyone else I can at least see flashes of raw skills that still need work, but I haven't seen anything from Stensgard that justifies the amount of minutes he gets. I'd much rather see Chapman play the majority of time.
Tate is a tall small forward forced into a 4/5 slot. What are you going to do? After thinking about the situation, I would say that everyone out there with the exception of Jabari and maybe JC are having to perform in roles that are not necessarily the best fit for them given conventional lineup positioning. As we all know, life is never perfect and you do the best you can with what you have to work with. It will get better over time.
wiu712

Cleveland State won 76-54.

Western only shot 8 free throws (made 6). Cleveland State shot 21 (made 17).

Attendance at Cleveland State was 1,187.

The Men have home games on Thursday (vs Idaho) and on Saturday (vs Alabama State).

The Women are home on Friday night vs Eastern Illinois.
wiu2013

Coach Wright made a comment at a speaking engagement back in April or May...Everyone will love me until November! Well, here it is December and so many critics. I am not sure what we all expected to happen this year, but not a great season last year + same mediocre players= same results this year.
As far as running plays through the inside... no one on the inside is a threat, so teams are not going to take our inside players as one. None of them have "sure" hands to catch the ball, and react quick enough to shoot or make a pass back out to of the paint.
If I am not mistaken SELA did press during the game, and I am almost positive I saw at least one play to break the press :)