Greenville College...a win, maybe?

Rocky Swishterson

After getting absolutely pantsed (how else would you spell this, spell-check?) by the two-man (or one man, one woman) team of William and Mary, the Leathernecks had better hitch up their slacks, put a belt on and deliver a win against Division III opponent Greenville College at home on Saturday.
Twenty-six percent shooting?
Really?
JoeWx21

This can be a game for the coaches do finally work the motion offense in the lane. I'm happy WIU has shooters but they need to learn how to drive. Use the pick and roll game and get the big guys involve. Defensive can have a field day if WIU is only going to take outside shots.

If this is how it is going to be all season prepare once again to be a long, disappointing one.
JoeWx21

Anyone know if the video board will be up and running for this game or is the athletic department going to wait until summit league action begins?
meganeck

I see in the game notes it says Rollins "hasn't played due ti injury". I assume he will redshirt, has anything been announced?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

JoeWx21 wrote:Anyone know if the video board will be up and running for this game or is the athletic department going to wait until summit league action begins?
There were a few comments about this the other day. I think we decided that it'd probably be a few weeks at least, since there's some mounting structure and wiring that needs to be set up. If it's Facilities Management doing the work, then we'll probably see them start work on it this next week. It's possible we won't see the video boards in Western Hall until 2015.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

JoeWx21 wrote:Anyone know if the video board will be up and running for this game?
No video boards at the Greenville game. Next game at Western Hall will be Dec 11.

Western won the game 91-56.

Attendance at Western Hall was 848.
JoeWx21

Now I know WIU played against a team that doesnt have division 1 talent but it was finally nice to see how this motion offense works. 38 points in the paint, 10-22 from the 3 point line, 54% from the field. Those are number I can live with.

Now just hope this can continue.
sealhall74

One of the problems playing a much lesser opponent is that you have no relevant progress gauge to read after the game is over. This coming week will be a true test for us as we are playing two ranked teams (Akron and Cleveland State):

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

I am assuming that the upcoming game at Cleveland State is a "payback" game for their playing in Macomb a few years back as part of the ESPN Bracket-Buster series.

Western had played at Evansville the year before in a Bracket Buster game. But Evansville never did make the return game here.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:I am assuming that the upcoming game at Cleveland State is a "payback" game for their playing in Macomb a few years back as part of the ESPN Bracket-Buster series.

Western had played at Evansville the year before in a Bracket Buster game. But Evansville never did make the return game here.
I believe that Evansville bought out the return game back to Macomb or something.
Also, I caught a bit of Kipp talking to Coach Wright on the radio this morning and they were saying that the Cleveland State game is the "return game" for the Bracket Buster game a couple of years ago. The agreement was, for a Bracket Buster game, the teams had to schedule a game at the other team's home (essentially, setting up a home-and-home) within the next two seasons following the BB game. The Cleveland State game was in 2012/13, so they either had to do it last year or this year, or, I believe, we could buy the game out (since we'd be the away team), which wouldn't have happened unless we could get someone huge to come to Western Hall for that game.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000