Comparing Covington

beauspencer

Because I'm a Leatherneck basketball stats nerd, I've been following Garret Covington's scoring very closely. Below are numbers comparing Covington with a pair of all-time greats in our program. Joe Dykstra and Coleman Carrodine rank one and two, respectively, in career scoring. They are the only two players in WIU men's basketball history to surpass 2,000 career points.

Through first 36 games as a Leatherneck (note: the 3-point line did not exist during Carrodine's nor Dykstra's career)

Coleman Carrodine - 657 points
Garret Covington - 537 points
Joe Dykstra - 514 points
sealhall74

Dykstra would not have needed the 3pt line as Lilly and Banks would have lived there. Not sure about Carodine.
Beau, what is your take on whether Covington is a natural #2 or #3? I am thinking #2 in a perfect world. Hanging around the paint too much not good for him. He does not seem to be getting the open looks from 3 this year that we saw last. One reason probably has to do with the opponent locking down on him a lot more.
Embrace the pace of the race.
beauspencer

Beau, what is your take on whether Covington is a natural #2 or #3? I am thinking #2 in a perfect world.
I completely agree with you. He's a natural two-guard, but with our lineup he fits better at the three. In my opinion, the two and three are interchangeable, but you want a more aggressive (ability to drive to the basket) player at the three. Covington fits the three better than Miklusak.