GDT Idaho (#TBT)

sealhall74

It's Throwback Thursday (12/11 7pm CT) night at Western Hall against the Idaho Vandals. Slap on those old bell bottom jeans and head out to the game. What would TBT be without a little mind bender to take you back a few years so here it is:

Earlier this season, the Leathernecks faced William and Mary. What WIU campus building was dedicated to honor a William and Mary student who, being a bit of a rebellious lad, dropped out of college after only one year but went on to achieve significant accomplishments in later life?

If I posted a picture of the building, that would give it away. So instead of a picture of it, I leave you with an TBT image pertaining to my favorite Leatherneck moment from back in the day. Living about 45 mi north of Macomb, I remember listening to the Larry Derry radio broadcast of this game on a transistor radio in my bedroom. It kept fading in and out but I got the gist of it. Greatest victory in Leatherneck history IMO. Enjoy!

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 28,6495843

BTW, the clincher for our first trip to the NCAAs will easily surpass the above greatest moment. Please don't make me wait too long for that. ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Might the answer be Washington Hall, named after George Washington.
It looks like he received his surveyor's license from William and Mary when he was 18 years old.

https://www.wmalumni.com/?notable_alumni_8
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:Might the answer be Washington Hall, named after George Washington.
It looks like he received his surveyor's license from William and Mary when he was 18 years old.

https://www.wmalumni.com/?notable_alumni_8
Not the one I had in mind but you might get partial credit for that answer.
letsgonecks

WIU Monroe Hall Annex circa 1958
Building located at 340 North Sherman Avenue, the southwest corner of the intersection of Sherman Avenue and Adams Street. The structure was a residence, a store building, a music conservatory, and a girls\' dormitory (Monroe Hall Annex). It was demolished in 1960.

Monroe was born to a plantation family in Westmoreland County, Virginia. He began attending Campbell Academy when he was eleven years old and entered the College of William and Mary at sixteen. In 1775 he enlisted in the Third Virginia Infantry and then fought under George Washington’s command during the Revolutionary War. Monroe was wounded during the Battle of Trenton, and eventually reached the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.

Following the war, he returned to the College of William & Mary to study law at the suggestion of Thomas Jefferson.
sealhall74

letsgonecks wrote:WIU Monroe Hall Annex circa 1958
Building located at 340 North Sherman Avenue, the southwest corner of the intersection of Sherman Avenue and Adams Street. The structure was a residence, a store building, a music conservatory, and a girls\' dormitory (Monroe Hall Annex). It was demolished in 1960.

Monroe was born to a plantation family in Westmoreland County, Virginia. He began attending Campbell Academy when he was eleven years old and entered the College of William and Mary at sixteen. In 1775 he enlisted in the Third Virginia Infantry and then fought under George Washington’s command during the Revolutionary War. Monroe was wounded during the Battle of Trenton, and eventually reached the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.

Following the war, he returned to the College of William & Mary to study law at the suggestion of Thomas Jefferson.
Gold star to letsgonecks. The building was later renamed to Grote Hall:

http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/c ... OX=1&REC=1

Regarding tonight's game, in a way we can look at this one as sort of a "barometer game" for how we might stack up in the conference this year as the Vandals head to SDSU on Saturday. That should give us something to compare against. From my vantage point, the Summit League is way down this year with no clearly dominant team to speak of.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:The Vandals head to SDSU on Saturday.
These two teams have already played one game this season.

On November 17, Idaho beat South Dakota State 82-77 in a game played at Moscow, Idaho. Attendance was 631.

This upcoming game on Saturday will be played in Brookings, SD.
W1U

Hey guys, first time poster long time reader.

I haven't been able to catch any games this year due to a move and a new job, but I have been able to follow the box scores. What has been the story of this team so far? It seems like the talent is there but not the results. Box scores can only tell so much of the story.
meganeck

W1U wrote:Hey guys, first time poster long time reader.

I haven't been able to catch any games this year due to a move and a new job, but I have been able to follow the box scores. What has been the story of this team so far? It seems like the talent is there but not the results. Box scores can only tell so much of the story.
I haven't seen any games, just a little of CSU game on ESPN3, but most people don't think we have the talent.
sealhall74

When we hit our 3s we are OK. When they don't fall, we have no plan B.
sealhall74

Impressive run by the 'Necks in the 2nd half.