WIU - Week 6 & 7

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I think this is week 6, I've started to kinda loose track.

After last week's loss at Iowa (90-56) and home win against Eastern Illinois (64-57), the men's basketball team is 7-2 overall now, which is (I think) the best start in the first 9 games since 80/81 when we started 9-2 before our third loss of the season. We'd end up finishing 21-8 overall and first place in the Mid-Con conference that year. That was the last year we were D2, so it's the best 9-game start in the DI era for us, although 2012/2013 comes close (3 losses fairly early, but would end up starting 14-3 and finishing the season 22-9, regular season conference co-champions, and was invited to the CBI).

Western is currently ranked #118 in the NCAA's RPI rankings, #140 in ESPN's Daily RPI, #118 in realtimerpi.com's rankings, #176 in Ken Pomeroy's rankings, and at last check, #18 in the College Insider Mid-Major Top 25 (although that hasn't updated for last week's games yet).
Western is currently averaging 75.6 ppg and giving up 64.6 ppg. We are currently ranked #7 in the country in 3-pt percentage with 43.7%.

I'm just going to go ahead and post the rest of the games for 2015, since there's only two, so this is (I think) Week 6 & 7.

Saturday, December 19th at 4:35 PM at Chicago State
Chicago State is currently 3-8 on the season. They started with a defeat of D3 Illinois Tech (137-59), loss at #7 Iowa State (106-64), win over NAIA IU-Northwest (105-64), win over NAIA Trinity International (81-70...not the same Trinity that we played earlier in the season), and then losses at Illinois (82-79), Jacksonville State (68-65), Alabama State (66-64), at Northern Illinois (80-58), at DePaul (96-72), home against Valparaiso (71-53), and at Northwestern (77-35). They have a game coming up on Wednesday at Minnesota before our game against them on Saturday. CSU plays in the Western Athletic Conference.
Chicago State is currently ranked #307 in the NCAA's RPI rankings, #296 in ESPN's Daily RPI, #308 in realtimerpi.com's rankings, and #339 in Ken Pomeroy's rankings.
Chicago State averages 77.8 ppg and gives up 76.2 ppg.

Monday, December 21st at 7 PM at Loyola (Chicago)
Loyola is currently 5-4 this season. They started with a win over UT-San Antonio (76-64), and a win over D3 Eureka (84-51). Then they had a loss at New Mexico (75-51), and win at home against Toledo (69-62). They competed in the GSI Great Alaska Shootout in Anchorage, winning against San Diego (67-57), and losing to Toledo (82-74) and UNC Ashville (59-48). They then had a home win against Creighton (68-65) and a loss at Notre Dame (81-61). They have games against Cleveland State (12/16) and UIC (12/19) before our game against them. Loyola (Chicago) joined the Missouri Valley Conference in 2013.
Loyola is currently ranked #196 in the NCAA's RPI rankings, #170 in ESPN's Daily RPI, #196 in realtimerpi.com's rankings, #161 in Ken Pomeroy's rankings, and received 4 votes in the "Others Receiving Votes" section of last week's College Insider Mid-Major Top 25 Poll.
Loyola averages 67.1 ppg and gives up 64.4 ppg

I think both games are winnable if we play well although Loyola will be tough. We're ranked a bit higher than they are, but in terms of common opponents, we lost to a (now 7-3) Creighton team by 30 points at their place and Loyola beat Creighton at home by 3. It seems like, just from looking at the numbers, they're somewhat similar to some of our teams under Coach Mo, with a stingy defense that is able to keep them in games. They don't put up a ton of points, but they don't generally give up a ton of points either.

After these two games, it's conference-only games from here on out...other than post-season tournaments, of course ;)
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
IlliniNeck

We should have a field day from beyond the arc vs. Chicago St. It would be disappointing to not win that one.

Loyola will be a tough one. Hopefully they will be ready to play and get to 9-2.
JoeWx21

I can see WIU winning both game, but also lose both games. I saw the CSU vs Illinois game earlier this year when it was played in Springfield. Those guys had one hell of a shooting day. If it wasn't getting in foul trouble, CSU would have upsetted Illinois.

Already I can see trouble with this team. What they did against Wisconsin just went out the door. Way too dribbling and shooting from J.C., Jabari, and Garrett. They rarely give the ball to their bigs, and not everyone has to shoot the ball after a pass or two.

They need to know how to move without the ball (did anyone noticed no one flashed through the lane against EIU), and utilize the give and go game.

These are things Coach Wright better notice quickly or it will be another disappointing run in conference play.
cubsflag

2 very tough games.winning on the road is no joke.chicago st plays tough but just dont have enough.but they do have kieren woods.great player but not sure how healthy seeing he only played 18 min. vs nw.as far as loyola,very winable also.their pg milton doyle a great player though.im sure sandifer knows all about him.now lets see if he can stick him.
Neckfansince71

I will be in the house with the Mrs. for both of these encounters! Chicago State really concerns me. They have gotten blown away a few times and have hung tough with some opponents too! Need to take it to them early. We will worry about Loyola after Saturday's game! ;) jc
cubsflag

chicago st has no size.but i think they crash the boards on both sides.they will give up a lot of fast break points.i could see just about anyone going off big for wiu.chicago st should hang for a half or more if wiu isnt hitting the 3 because chicago st will probably play sagging man to man.almost a stack defense.but i see wiu by 18 or so.
sealhall74

Not sure if we are good enough to start sandbagging, but if we are, I suggest letting Chicago State stay within 10 and save some energy and points for the Ramblers.
Embrace the pace of the race.
cubsflag

full steam ahead.take the city by storm.loyola isnt as good as most people think.they have no size.
cubsflag

im looking for the big red head and that tate kid to have big weekends.JUST REBOUND AND wiu WINS.
wiu712

Chicago State does have a nice basketball arena that opened in 2007. The university benefited greatly from their association with former Illinois State Senate President Emil Jones.
http://www.gocsucougars.com/sports/2013 ... aspx?id=74

The former home for Chicago State basketball continues as the home for the volleyball team.
http://www.gocsucougars.com/sports/2008 ... aspx?id=19